Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Tsuriman

Maytag oven gas smell MGS5870ADB

8 posts in this topic

I have been searching around here and I think there is likely a ignitor issue. I dont have an AMP meter. But I will explain and hopefully an educated guess will be the right one.

Set bake to 350. Oven heats up slowly but the smell of gas slowly builds up. The electrical (broiler?) element heats up the oven but there is no flame. I read in one thread that if the ignitor fails it will cut the gas, is this true? Could my ignitor fail both igniting and cutting the gas? Or is this a symptom of another problem? Also, does this oven have only one ignitor?

Thanks

Tsuriman

Pic :-)

2011-10-29_10-00-20_627.jpg

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

One Ignitor for Bake
one for Broil

if you have a HarborFreight Store near you:
sometimes on sale. . . sometimes 20% OFF coupon

image_7104.jpg

kdog. Makes perfect sense, explains the long time needed before the gas smell builds up.

Reg, I saw the <$20 meters at HF. I didn't realize there is one 10 minutes from my house. I might be heading out today. Also, you mentioned the broil one, I didnt see a second gas ignitor.

Thanks

you mentioned the broil one, I didnt see a second gas ignitor.

not shown separately on the Parts Diagram, but must have one....

The picture posted is the broil burner. Look under the bottom panel of the oven for the bake burner, igniter.

Igniter fixed it. Thanks again.

Glad I brought some extra SS screws. Everything came apart easily but the screws holding the igniter stripped when I put it back it (had a bad angle with the drill).

Good Job - one of our most valued tools - a bucket of various screws etc. !