Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WHIRLPOOL LE5720XSW0 Electric Dryer Overheating!

Overheating Whirlpool Dyer Whirlpool Overheating

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amenges

amenges

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yuengling

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hey guys... I am in serious need of some help. My dryer is overheating... Let me start with the beginning of the story..

There I was, paying some bills when the girlfriend walked in and said "the dryer is making a weird humming noise and not moving". Sure enough it was making an odd noise, and the drum wasnt turning.. When I went to turn it by hand it was pretty hard to even turn. Long story short I took the dryer apart and replaced the dryer motor. Now.. I took pictures of all the wire positions before I took the old motor out, that way I knew which positions they went back on.
Welllllll I put the new dryer motor in, hooked all the wires up the way the picture and nice little color diagram looked, and turned it on. I was thrilled the drum was turning and it wasn't making any weird noises. I was even more thrilled I didn't have to hear the girlfriend complain. Then I was out in the garage this time, putting the mower away when she said the dryer smells like it's burning. Sure enough, it was and still is overheating. You can see the nice orange glow when you open the door. Someone told me to hold the door latch button and see if the element heated up without the dryer actually being on.. and it doesn't, just when you turn on it any of the heat settings. When it's on the "air only" setting it doesn't heat up, so I guess I got that going with me.
Anyway, I took the back panel off again, and am stuck. So many gizmos and gadgets, I don't know which thermostat or control is which, or how to really check them. Is it just coincidence this would happen right after I replace the dryer motor? Or is it possible I wired the motor wrong? I've included some pictures for y'all to have a gander at, I hope you can help me out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

is this a new Motor ?
Did it include the Centrifugal Start Switch ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 amenges

amenges

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

It was a used motor I got off of eBay. $18.00 seemed better than $80. haha we didn't plan on having this dryer for much longer, but this problem couldn't of come at a worse time of year...

#4 amenges

amenges

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

Oh I forgot to mention.. I don't know what a Centrifugal Start Switch is... If you are referring to the switch where all the wires plug in to on the motor, than yes... That came with it.. some of the wires from the motor were already hooked up to the switch that I am talking about.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

yes, that Switch...
It would seem that the portion of the Switch that the (2) Red Wires connect to, is shorted,
or the Motor isn't "disconnecting" that Switch when at rest.
Remove the (2) Red Wires and check.
There shouldn't be continuity when the Motor isn't running.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

sad.png Looks like the $18 wasn't such a good deal as that motor is of some prime vintage - Below is a link to the relacement motors, click on it where you'll find the contained instructions/video etc. notice the switch wiring - the replacement motors have bee furnished like that for about the last 20 years, so it gives you an idea how old the one is that you currently have

http://www.repaircli...mber=LE5720XSW0

01191725.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Overheating Whirlpool, Dyer, Whirlpool, Overheating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics