Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Monotube burner element electrical question for Frigidaire RDG-35P

Monotube electrical wiring install Frigidaire

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Soulenoid

Soulenoid

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Hale's Ale

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

I finally found a replacement monotube burner element for my old Frigidaire RDG-35P stove and installed it. I was very careful to make sure I reattached the wires to the terminals in the new one in the same order as they were on the old one. But, something odd happened last night that has made me wonder if I accidentally got the wires reversed. So, here are my questions:

1. If the wires were accidentally reversed would the burner still heat heat up or not?

2. If the wires were reversed and I turned the burner on, could that cause the fan in the vent hood to short out even if the vent hood is on a different circuit breaker than the stove. (The stove is completely on it's own breaker, the vent hood/fan is on a different one.) And, the replacement element is exactly the same as the old one, same part number (7526844, two wire). I think it was unused old stock because it looks brand new or was only used a few times.

The odd thing that happened is that I was heating a little oil in a pan on the new burner, the oil started to smoke so I grabbed the pan, lifted it a few inches and at the same time turned the vent hood fan switch on. Almost immediately, there was a pop and a spark and the fan was dead. The breaker on the electrical panel in the basement had gotten flipped I discovered. And then, I noticed a small black mark on the aluminum mesh vent/fan filter (bowl shaped variety). So I removed the filter and noticed that one of the wires to the fan motor was all gummy feeling. I don't know if this failure had anything to do with the new burner element, was some random failure, or if what actually happened is that some of the vaporized hot oil from the pan got sucked up into the fan or maybe there was enough spatter, that the oil actually went through the the aluminum mesh filter, melted the plastic around the wire and that's what caused the short when I turned the fan on. But, if something about the wiring of the new element caused this then I need to fix that first before repairing the fan. The fan still runs but I probably need to replace it, or maybe just the portion of the wiring that got shorted out and melted the plastic casing around it. (I taped over the switch to prevent anyone from turning the fan on until it's safe.)

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

Sounds purely coincidental - why not just leave the breaker turned off and tape over it to prevent accidents
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Monotube, electrical, wiring, install, Frigidaire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics