Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Double Oven 790.48133800 - Replace hidden bake element

replace bake element

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beskal

beskal

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:corona

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

Our upper oven has not been heating well so I removed the double oven from the wall and did some testing. The element failed a simple continuity test at the wire connector that was accessible from the rear of the unit. The bottom oven which is working fine tested fine using the same test.

I'm going to be ordering the part and replacing the element. However, I don't see where/how to remove the element hidden baking element? Do I need to remove the entire back panel to access it?

I did find a parts diagram but that doesn't help in where to start for the removal....

http://c.searspartsd...10020-00002.png

Thanks for the help!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

This a fun one! NOT in the generic service manual. You have to remove the front panel between the two ovens. Slide the lock assy out of the way. You'll see two cotter pins (#7) you have to pull to release the hidden bake element heat shield (#58). I think you have to disconnect the wires to the element (#67) before you pull it out too far, since the wire isn't long enough to remove the element.

I ordered the part and someone else had the pleasure of putting it back together...
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#3 beskal

beskal

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

Bought the part and did a successful repair! Thanks for the tips above as that got me started on where to start. First time I've had an oven with a hidden element, the replacement element was very expensive at $170. The last time I had to replace a regular element it was like $30. In the future I'd prefer not to have a hidden element, my wife may not agree but she only cooks in it, she doesn't have to repair it! :whistling:

Anyhow, here are a few tips for anyone doing a similar repair. This was on Kenmore Elite double oven made by Frigidaire, 2008 model. These steps are to replace the hidden element of the top oven. Replacing the bottom oven hidden element would simply require turning the unit on it's side so that you can access the trap door underneath the oven that holds the hidden element.

I hope this helps someone else out there! Repair took about 2 hours from taking it out to putting it back. Much longer than I would have hoped but then again this is a hidden element inside of the unit.
  • I found it was much easier to remove the oven by taking the doors off first. That made it a lot lighter too but you'll still need someone's help to get it out.
  • Once out, unscrew and remove the aluminum metal bracket that is on the left side (when facing oven).
  • Have an assistant prop up the top oven or put a piece of wood or something where the bracket was before doing the next step or the top oven may collapse onto the bottom oven since the bracket is removed
  • Remove the black vent/trim that is between the two ovens. There is a lock assembly there as well, move that out of the way after removing the trim.
  • There is a black piece of metal trim on both sides of the front of the oven. It serves as a brace to hold the ovens together. Remove the screws on this trim that are attached to the bottom oven. This will allow you to be able to lift the side of the top oven enough to get the hidden element out.
  • Look under the top oven and you will see a cotter pin and a screw about a foot to the left of that. Remove both and this will allow a trap door to open for access to the hidden element. Disconnect the electric connectors from the hidden element before attempting to take it out as the wires are not long enough to take out connected.
  • Have an assistant lift the top oven on the left side where you've detached the black trim. If you lift it 2-3" that will be just enough to open the trap door and slide the hidden element tray out.
  • Installation is the reverse of the steps above.
:rocker:

#4 beskal

beskal

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

Clarification on

#2. The bracket I'm referring to is in the middle of the left side between both ovens. There are maybe 6 screws holding it there.
#6. The black vent/trim is on the front between both ovens.
#8. When replacing the tray with the element you may need to get a long screw driver or other tool to hold the back of the tray up as you are sliding it in so that the rear of the tray clears the lip under the oven that holds the tray in.

#5 prairiestr

prairiestr

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Jack

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

Nice Job!
Thanks for the info. I hope I dont have to do one of these, but at least I have an idea where to start.
:thanks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics