Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet WFW8300SW04 Bleach Dispenser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homebrew

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

Onegai Shimasu

Been a while since my last visit. Not sure how big a problem it is, but I thought I would seek the opinions of the Great Masters.

Whirlpool Duet WFW8300SW04/Ser.# HLW3677093

Machine worked fine for the last year or so; recently noticed that the bleach dispenser in the drawer has water in it after the cycle is complete. We only use bleach to wash socks and white washcloths. I never noticed this before. I check the the water that's in the reservoir, and it will vary in how strong a bleach smell is in there, so I'm figuring it sometimes gets flushed out better than others.

I found a few other threads that mention this issue:

http://appliantology...__fromsearch__1

http://appliantology...__fromsearch__1

We recently had a problem, with the machine not filling, and making a very loud rattling sound, so the very nice repair guys came out - absolute professionals! I described the problem, they opened up the machine, and cleaned up the actuator arm assembly that diverts the water into the various compartments in the drawer. I thought that might assist with the water remaining in the bleach dispenser - nope.

So, today, I go to wash some socks, but I wanted the water out of the dispenser. I pulled out the whole drawer, removed, the siphon insert, pushed in two tabs and removed the chute that is below the reservoir; there was a small amount of calcium buildup around and inside the little vertical tubes, so I scrubbed that all out with some brushes, rinsed it all off, and put it all back together.

I put the drawer in, filled the reservoir with bleach, added soap (he) to the soap area, and ran the cycle. At the end, there was water in the bleach reservoir, didn't smell too much like bleach, but I never noticed water remaining after the wash cycles before. In the thread I linked to above, it seems this could be "normal", but this only started recently, and I'm not sure how I am supposed to add bleach when the reservoir is already full.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated; I may have left out pertinent info, so please ask for any other info you might need.

Arigato.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,953 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

I've had this problem with several different brands of machines in our store. Each time the problem went away after I put in another dispenser. I'm not sure why this happens. Maybe there is a one-way or check valve in the dispenser that goes bad.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

Well, I've run three loads since I cleaned up the dispenser drawer. The first load, I mentioned yesterday, left water in the bleach dispenser - smelled a little bit like bleach. The next load also left the bleach dispenser with water in it, and the load (colors on warm water) did smell a bit like bleach, but not major. Did another load of colors this AM, and the dispenser was dry when it was done; just finished another load, and there was water in the bleach dispenser...?

It's not that big a deal, but I'm just wondering why this is occurring now, and why it seems to be intermittent. For a gucci front loader, I didn't expect to have to rinse out the soap drawer after every time I use bleach... :ermm:

#4 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

are you using the same water temp settings every time? the bleach cup is usually flushed out with cold water and only happens when certain cycles are chosen.

Make sure that during fill that the cold water is flowing into the machine at an adequate rate and not trickling.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Yes---per appl.tech.29501---there may be an issue with the WATER VALVE having slowed to a trickle.

This can cause a failure to dispense.

Calcium deposits (crud/residue from detergent/softener etc) can reduce the function of the dispenser. Keeping the entire dispenser tray clean is essential for reliability.

The other cause can be---if the washer is not slightly raised/higher at the front than the rear/back---this causes PARTIAL siphoning of detergents/softener/bleach.

The design of most dispensers in many different brand washers---is to keep it simple.

No electrical or mechanical components to actuate/operate the dispenser system---just a self-siphon method---when water is directed to the dispenser---the rising liquid in the dispenser reaches a point at which both the water & the detergent or softener or bleach will siphon out by itself.

On many washers that are dead-level or raised slightly higher at the rear than the front---the dispenser will not fully dispense the liquids (or does so--but erratically).

Raising the front of the washer higher than the rear about 1/2 inch---remedies this annoying symptom.

And yes---as Durham mentioned---it may be necessary to replace the dispenser tray (too much stubborn deposit/residue).
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#6 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

Thank your for the replies and tips. The drawer is clean - I scrubbed it well with a bit of vinegar. The water has a strong flow into the machine. I never considered the level of the machine. Of course, the install instructions tell you to level the machine - but it makes sense that a slight incline in the front would help this problem.

I will make adjustments (maybe 1/4" to start) and let you know the result. Might take a week or so to get through a couple more loads of laundry for testing purposes, but I shall return.

:thanks:

#7 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

Calcium/Hard water build up on the ports of the dispenser can cause water to spray sideways or at an angle instead of downward, and filling the dispenser cup adjacent to it causing a very slow fill of that cup/extra water in it. its common to see a bit of water and there are a lot of factors that relate this this; water temp of pipes in house, water temp selection, water pressure, flow rate, calcium/hardwater buildup, time of the year (temp/pressure changes at street water pressure), maybe a toilet was flushed ;-) or the boston redsox were playing...

I like Senpai's suggestions I would like to see if this resolves it.
It is never a bad thing to leave it to the professionals. Inexperience can lead to more damage or risk of injury. You can always call A&E Factory Service (1-800-905-9505), Sears(1-800-469-4663), or local service man you can trust (servicemagic.com).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics