Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ignitor Leads

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mark5974

mark5974

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:58 AM

Your troubleshooting guide for diognosing ignitors, safety valves etc. it great!!  I've concluded my ignitor is bad, and now have a new one in hand.  My new part has bare lead wires, does it matter which one I attach to the thermostat lead and which goes to the safety valve lead?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,926 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:01 PM

[user=469]mark5974[/user] wrote:

Your troubleshooting guide for diognosing ignitors, safety valves etc. it great!! 

Thanks, glad it helped!  :dude:

The ignitor is not polarity sensitive so it doesn't matter if you switch the wires, just make sure they're going to the right places.

#3 mark5974

mark5974

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:13 PM

New ignitor is in, and the oven works!    Except...

Now there's a faint gas in the oven.  The only gas line related thing I touched during this experience was the on/off lever on the regulator during initial troubleshooting.  I've checked the obvious, and seem to have tight connections.  I then turned off the regulator lever and let the air in the oven clear for an hour or so, no smell.  Within 20 seconds of flipping the lever back on I detected the smell again.  

In your experience, can gas leak around the on/off mechanism on the regulator?  Or, can a safety valve leak?  Short of buying a gas sniffer, how can I find the leak.    

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,926 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:25 PM

I've been on some calls where, after the replacing the ignitor (which was definitely bad) it revealed that it was masking an addditional problem with the gas valve not snapping open and shut. You can test this by turning the oven on and then off, then go underneath to where the brass gas orifice is set into the bas of the burner tube and poke a match in the primary air port. If you get a little yellow flame, then you know you have a sloppy valve and that's your next repair.

Or it could just be that you're low on gas. If you're on propane, the ethyl mercaptan smell gets very strong as the tank nears empty.

Or is could be nothing, everything might be normal. :dude:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics