Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Admiral (Whirlpool) LNC 8750 a71 gas dryer - skips? intermittent motor?

gas dryer motor skip

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kelfin

Kelfin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homemade fruit soda or chocolate milk. Amaretto sour on a bad day.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

I have an Admiral gas dryer, model LNC 8750 A71 that I've been keeping alive with the help of all you fine folks. Lately, the motor has started cutting out briefly. hummmmmmmmmmmmm skip hummmmmmmmmmm skip (give a listen to the file attached)

This sounds suspiciously like something slowly dying - and I'm a big believer in fixing slowly dying things before they blow out and take other more expensive parts with them.

The clothes are getting dry and the dryer's still heating. The skip time is a fraction of a second between several seconds of normal hum and the time interval sounds close to consistent to me. But don't take my word for it - you can hear for yourself.

Any guesses?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Sounds like the motor is going out to me. Shouldnt be that loud when its running.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

bad Belt ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

Need to tear the dryer down...inspect the blower housing as well...could be some debris in there.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#5 Kelfin

Kelfin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homemade fruit soda or chocolate milk. Amaretto sour on a bad day.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Tore the dryer down - cleared out the debris (there was plenty). When I ran the dryer briefly while the drum and belt were removed, there was a horrible clunking sound near the start of the cycle.

I inspected the blower fan and if I turn it with my fingers I can see that the motor only engages some of the time - it seems like the blower and motor connection slips, like a car with a clutch going out. I'm not sure if that's normal.

When the dryer was back together the intermittent motor cut-out didn't happen anymore, but now there's an ongoing squeak (like crickets) throughout the cycle, and that horrible clunking noise happens every time the dryer starts up.

I'm guessing cricket noise = belt, so I'll be replacing that. But does clunking = blower fan? It seems like the problem's not with the fan itself but with the connection between fan and motor - not sure what to replace for that.

Guidance would be deeply appreciated before I buy parts I don't need and/or attempt a replacement that's maybe a little trickier than I can handle.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

... but now there's an ongoing squeak (like crickets) throughout the cycle, and that horrible clunking noise happens every time the dryer starts up.

maybe post YouTube video ?

LNC 8750 A71
maybe
LNC 8760 A71 ?
perhaps Shaft Hole in Blower Wheel is "rounded-out"
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=487770

Blower-Wheel-31001317-01195274.jpg

M0208175-00005.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Kelfin

Kelfin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Thank you so much for the help! I couldn't get a video camera (not even my phone) into the spacing between the blower fan and motor (ran out of hands, too).

However, I was able to get a picture of the model number (it really is 50, but I'll use 60 if it gets me to the right parts!) and an audio recording of the horrible noises. They're getting worse every time the dryer runs:

So....blower fan and belt? or something more dire? How difficult will the blower wheel be to replace? It seems like there's a lot of housing to remove to get to it.

#8 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

Defiantly blower is loose, center part of blower were shaft connects is probally rounded out! Reg nailed it again!!! Take putty knife and push it in at the front of dryer where top meets the front, about 1-2 inches in from left and right edge then you can lift lid and lean it againist back wall while you disconnect wires to door switch and remove the two 5/16 screws on the inside of dryer that holds the front panel to the sides, lift slightly to remove front panel and place your eyes on the blower and belt since your there, not a bad idea to clean out debris and oil support rollers behind drum!!!! And then order your parts from repairclinic and have a quiet dryer again!!!

Edited by Derik, 09 April 2012 - 01:05 AM.

#9 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

The blower changeout is not difficult. About 8 1/4 inch screws hold the blower cover to the blower chassis.
Then 2 5/16 screws hold the cover to the dryer base plate.
C clip pliers are nice for removing the C clip in frony of the blower wheel but a flat blade screwdriver will pry it off.
Then pliers to remove the spring clip from the blower.

#10 Kelfin

Kelfin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Argh...c-clips again. I had a lot of drama with those when I replaced the rollers. Time to buy c clip pliers.

Thank you everyone! I'll post again when the dryer's nice and quiet.

#11 Kelfin

Kelfin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

Hey - solved the 8750/8760 issue. Turns out although the dryer is labeled Admiral, it's under the RepairClinic as Montgomery Ward (LNC8750A, to be precise).
I seem to remember someone waaaay back saying Admiral was an MW brand. Appliantology rocks again!

Edited by Kelfin, 09 April 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#12 Kelfin

Kelfin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

Thank you everyone! I pulled the dryer back apart tonight and discovered that the blower wheel center wasn't just rounded out - 2 of the 3 pieces of the core that wraps around the motor shaft had actually cracked completely off!

Cracked blower fan

As jumptrout predicted, getting the housing apart was actually pretty simple. I did have to spring for a set of socket wrenches in a smaller size (the housing was held on with bolts rather than screws) and retaining ring pliers, but something tells me those might come in handy again.

Here's the sweet sound of success

http://youtu.be/ZcqFECF3MmI

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,183 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Awesome job, my fine young apprentice! You have made an old Samurai very proud!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics