Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
vunger1

Kenmore high efficiency washer 11026002010

18 posts in this topic

trying to diagnose this washer for a customer,but the motor just hums.I dont think i can access the computer to troubleshoot,will check and reply back.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... motor just hums.

in Agitate and Spin ?

as soon as i plug it in it is humming, sounds like motor trying to turn.In diagnostic mode, green L.E.D. lights, blink twice/ then pause /then blink twice/ then pause.....so on and so on..... also red l.e.d. for lid lock blinks continuously during diagnostic mode. Any one got any advice?help!

Edited by vunger1

Ah, ye olde but new Whirlpiool vertical modular washer (VMW). Sounds like another bad lid switch that we've been hearing about ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Latch/W10404050/1938607

And come check out some purdy pitchers and tips from training as well as valuable tips contributed by your Brethren in The Craft on this machine ==> Whirlpool Vertical Modular Washer (VMW), United Servicers Regional Training in Albany, NY

thanks for the info, will order lid switch and update you guys on further diagnostics.

installed lid switch, motors turns very slowly and hums(not reaching operating speed) until it shuts itself off. Any one experienced this before?

Also if I push power button to turn off machine,there is no response, it keeps running until i unplug it.

Edited by vunger1

Tech Sheet - W10240504.pdf

link PM'd

The main problem with these world washers is the shift actuator u needf a new1

Swapped topic title from Whirlpool to Kenmore

how do i diagnose a bad shift actuator?

Hey vunger, what was the solution to the humming motor. Did you figure it out? I have one with the same symptoms. I've ruled out lid latch and shift actuator.

If motor hums and won't turn off it is probably a bad control, did you checks for error codes? As for diagnosing the shifter there is an error code for that. I've seen a lot of shifter problems, you can tilt the machine and watch the shifter try to move the splutch(that's what a whirlpool rep said they call em)cam but it will only go part way and then reverse. This typically causes long pauses or incomplete wash and or spins but not motor humming.

Motor humming can also be a bad capacitor or wiring. Check microfarads on cap, ohm out wires and motor windings, if that all checks ok its da board. I've seen the control energize both CW and CCW directions at the same time. That creates and loud buzz!

When the VMW was introduced at WPL factory training the instructor apologetically mentioned the word splutch and a collective groan was heard throughout the room.  Everyone reliving the nightmares of the world washer.  Seeing multiple issues with shifters, motors and controls.  The splutch, in all it's plastic glory seems to be holding up remarkably well.

Error codes F7-E1 and F5-E1. In diagnostics testing agitate and spin you hear the motor hum in a pulsing fashion. I had a new shift actuator with me, switched them with the same results. I reseated all wire connections. The splutch is in perfect condition and the tub and pulley turn freely. I didn't have time to get down and dirty with wire continuity but didn't see any visual damage. The motor ohmed at 4.5-4.5 and 8. Is the 8 out of tolerance? The capacitor tested good. Got a hell of a spark when I discharged it. The customer is pissed because the washer is 1 year 4 months old and Sears/Whirlpool are not sympathetic. 

Just to finish this out, My diagnosis was either motor or control board. I explained to my customer the mountain of problems these machines have had. They called sears again and finally got some results. Sears replaced the machine without looking at the old one. Customer mentioned the mountain of problems these machines have had and sears rep said "we have very few complaints about these washers" :woot:

Bummer on the incomplete results, :dry: ........... I love a happy endings.. :sweat: .