Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer squeak - Maytag LDG5005AEE

Maytag dryer blower wheel squeak

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Hey all...

I have an older Maytag Dryer that developed a squeal and burning rubber smell a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that there was a slight rumble sound that would happen as the dryer started up. That would pass as the dryer got going. I thought that the belt was going bad, so I replaced it. While doing that I also vacuumed out the dryer of all the dust and lint.

Started back up the dryer and the noise came back. I THOUGHT that it was from the back of the dryer, so I replaced the idler pulley last night.

I rotated the drum, and the noise was there. It is not a constant squeal and squeak, but intermittent. I got down by the blower wheel and listen there, the sound was in that area. How would I know if the offender is just the wheel or the ugh.... motor? If it is the wheel, can replacing that rid my dryer of that awful noise?

Thanks so much in advance!
- Raven

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

The rumble you describe is prolly he blower wheel stripped out on the shaft. To check, remove the front again and rotate the blower wheel while holding the drum. Does the wheel spin freely? If so, it is stripped.
as for the squeaking, if you already replaced the idler pulley, need to inspect the drum rollers and front glides.
rollers should spin freely when spun by hand, if binding, replace. Glides are on the front bulkhead...the bottom of the drum rides on them. If worn down to the metal, could be your squeaking although prolly would not be intermittent.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

I will check that this evening when I get home. Thanks!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

Part link for blower wheel ==> Blower Wheel

#5 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Okay held the drum and spun the blower wheel. It was not loosely spinning but I could move it. I did notice that it spun a little off center - a little bit of a wobble.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

Sounds like Master Kurtius done smacked anuddin outta da park! :banana:

#7 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Okay in theory would replacing that wheel solve the issue, or could I be looking at a more costly repair, like a new motor?

#8 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

the blower wheel, loose on the shaft will cause all kinds of noise. I'll stand behind Kurtis and the Samurai on the verdict, if you think the blower wheel is loose on the shaft of the motor, then, remove, the spring clip that helps hold the blower wheel in place and investigate further, if it spins or moves side to side on the motor shaft while you are holding the drum, its bad.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#9 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

Yeah it was a little loose, but not flopping around. There was some resisted movement when I held the drum and rotated the blower wheel. I also made sure that the belt wasn't moving at the time.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

Also, remove the front panel and check out the front drum glides. If they're worn thru the teflon into the cork, that'll make some gawd-awful squealation. Part link ==> Drum Slide or Glide

And here's now to replace 'em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovMw8l8JVo

#11 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

The glides are in good shape. I did check that.

#12 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

How's about the 2 drum rollers at the back?
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#13 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

How's about the 2 drum rollers at the back?

They spun without any noise or resistance.

#14 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

the blower wheel, loose on the shaft will cause all kinds of noise. I'll stand behind Kurtis and the Samurai on the verdict, if you think the blower wheel is loose on the shaft of the motor, then, remove, the spring clip that helps hold the blower wheel in place and investigate further, if it spins or moves side to side on the motor shaft while you are holding the drum, its bad.

As far as the blower wheel spinning freely, per this repair vid, it looks like it is supposed to. @ 1:45 mark.

:huh:

I will delve further and remove the spring clip and look closer.

My laundry runneth over. :woot:

#15 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

ok I was not meaning that it should spin freely like they describe. If you hold the motor shaft and the blower wheel has play on the shaft, then it could be the cause of your squeak. What they are refering to in the video is to be sure that it turns with the shaft, freely, (not binding). If you have checked the drum glides, the rollers, the Idler pulley and are satisfied, that it is not the blower wheel making the noise, then, the only thing left is the motor.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#16 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the clarification! I checked everything else and the sound is isolated to the blower wheel area. I am HOPING that it is not the motor! I was not able to remove the blower wheel last night because I did not have any snap ring pliers on hand. Man those things are not cheap, btw! I was in hopes that my maintenance guys in our company's facilities department had a set, but they don't. Oh well! I'll shell out the cash and pick a set up today.

I appreciate the assistance and feedback very much!

#17 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

Well... removed the blower wheel, and removed the belt from the drum as well. I took my pliers and rotated the motor shaft, and it started to squeak. UGH. So... am I looking at a new motor now? Man oh man this kinda sucks.

:(

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:57 PM

... took my pliers and rotated the motor shaft, and it started to squeak. UGH.

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1245851

00820168.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#19 spokesnwheels

spokesnwheels

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

OKay here is something funny. I got everything off of the motor shaft, and then started clearing away all the lint and crap that was gunked on it. I turned the shaft again for about 30 secs and no squeak at all. I'm going to re-assemble and see if that was what the issue was.

#20 BobNJ

BobNJ

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homemade Imperial Russian Stout

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

And the result was? Curious minds want to know. Plus, someone that has the exact same symptoms with a Maytag LDG7304aae, although I have cleaned off all of the lint I could and it still squeaks. Also, the burning rubber smell seems to be forgotten in this thread. Is that not important? I would be reassured if I could ignore that and the sparking and ozone smell from my stove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics