Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Washer DLW330RAW: Smoke!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bob

Bob

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

Ok, I started a small load of laundry and a few minutes later smelled smoke! I ran downstairs and the washer was smoking. I don't recall if it was agitating or not, I believe there wasn't any noise at all--it appeared to be stalled with smoke pouring out. But, I confess I was in emergency mode, so my recollection for detail is probably unreliable.

I quickly killed power, unplugged it, turned the dial to off and threw the lid open... smoke roiled out. The tub had not drained. I opened windows and used fans to clear the basement. The stench was incredible! I thought it was electrical fire smell, but now think it might be rubber, perhaps from the belt.

I pulled the lower panel off and didn't notice any obstructions or any damage. Everything appeared clean and intact. I was able to move the pulleys, tensioner and belt fairly easily. The and pulley grooves and belt seemed ok. I am able to deflect the belt by pressing on it: it is neither loose or super tight. I think I replaced the belt last year....but, my wife runs the crap outta the washer. There is definitely some belt dust.

I decided to run it through the rest of the cycle and watched it the entire time (laying on the floor with safety glasses, a flashlight and a HEPA mask): it seemed fine.

I checked for obstructions between the inner and outer tub by pulling the top ring off and agitator out, and there was nothing there. Could there be something between the inner/outer tub but under the inner tub? Not sure how to get the inner tub out.

I am now very nervous about this machine! Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Many thanks,
Bob (sipping a Michelob...yeah, kinda whimpy, but I'm a cheap date)

Edited by Bob, 17 November 2011 - 02:57 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Maybe check for goodies in the drain pump
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Please send pictures....................(laying on the floor with safety glasses, a flashlight and a HEPA mask):

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Almost sounds like the tub bearing and seal going bad, that's what these do when they go bad before it starts sounding like a jet plane taking off.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics