Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool MH1170XSS-2 microwave

whirlpool microwave

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Greg1993

Greg1993

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

microwave was cleaned yesterday, it does not work today. Light comes on and turn table rotates, it makes the same noise as usual but does not heat up food or liquid. It was fairly dirty so I used clorox kitchen cleaner (7-8 squirts inside the microwave) to clean it. I had to scrub moderately hard, especially up top, so I must of damaged something.

*manufacture date is sept. 2007. Microwave is usually cleaned 2-3 per year with cleaner and damp soft scrubbing pad.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

no Error Codes F2, F6, etc ?
if not, then could be a bad:

Magnetron Thermostat
High-Voltage Capacitor
High-Voltage Diode
Magnetron
High-Voltage Transformer

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Greg1993

Greg1993

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

no codes..is there anyway to make it display codes?

#4 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

First you didn't do any damage to the microwave be cleaning it. I will go out on a limb and asume that the problem is in the high voltage system. first you will need to locate the wiring diagram/ Tech sheet, behind the grill on the left, or in the bottom of the control pannel. Second it would be a good idea to pull the unit down so you can work on it easier, Have an assistant, help you while you remove the screws that hold the microhood in place. Once you hace the diagram and the microhood down, remove the case, there may even be screws in the bottom holding the case wraper on. NEXT, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, FIND THE CAPASATOR, AND DISCHARGE IT!!!!!! DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS!!!!! Then find the 2 wires that feed the high voltage transformer, check with a volt/ohm meter that you have voltage to the transformer. during a heating cycle.THEN DISCHARGE THE CAPASATOR AGAIN, TO ENSURE YOUR SAFETY WORKING ON THE MICROHOOD. Then remove the wires from the magnetron, and place them in a way so that they wiil not spark against anything. Run the unit with the magnetron disconnected, for 10 to 30 seconds, disconnect the power and DISCHARGE THE CAPASATOR AGAIN, if the capasator sparks with the mag tube disconnected, then the high voltage transformer, and the capasator check good. If the capasator doesn't spark, we have a whole other problem.

1 check the voltage from the board and door switches to the high voltage transformer. If 120v ac present at transformer, move to step 2
2 remove the wires from the magnetron, and run the micro for 10-30 seconds, Discharge cap, if it sparks then the transformer and cap are good..... Replace magnetron and diode.
3 if the cap does not arc, and you have 120v ac to the transformer, use the tech sheet in the microwave, to help check the transformer windings and check the cap.
4 if you have anyt questions feel free to ask.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#5 Greg1993

Greg1993

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I was hoping it might be something simple. I do almost all my own maintenance (auto and home) and I even worked at an appliance repair shop in my youth for a short time but I draw the line at large capacitors and transformers..just isn't work the risk to me personally. I think I'll just pick up a new microwave, this one probably needs a new door seal anyways. Thanks again.

*worth the risk

#6 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

it depens on how you look at it, its worth a shot to try, guarantee a mag tube is cheaper than a new microwave.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#7 Greg1993

Greg1993

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

oddly it's working ok now, just heated up a cup of water. I turned down the heat last night and it was cold in the kitchen this morning..maybe the ambient temp caused the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics