Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Gold GS6NBE/GF6NFE Icemaker Woes

Whirlpool icemaker GS6NBE GF6NFE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IB4OU

IB4OU

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:49 AM

This fridge has the ice reservoir in the door. It makes ice fine so the reservoir stays full. The problem is that the motorized flapper/trap door that opens/closes to allow ice out of the reservoir and through the front of the freezer door seems to be failing. I think this trap door is not opening or properly allowing ice between the trap door and the reservoir to get stuck, melt, and then become a big glob that blocks ice from coming out. I constantly have to open the flapper and break the ice apart to clear it out and then it will work fine for a few hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

If you use only crushed ice you will see this problem quite a bit. I believe if you look at your owners manual it will tell you to make sure to alternate between using crushed and cubed ice and also to remove and empty the ice bucket and clean out any ice build up periodically.

In the crushed ice mode these units seem to crush the ice just a little to fine, (almost like snow cone ice), and it can build up in a snow pack in the opening of the ice crush area then freeze everything up.

Using cubed ice after crushed will help knock any build up of crushed/snow ice out of the ice chute area and help keep it cleared.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 19 November 2011 - 06:02 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, I know your manual gave you that model number or you saw it on the side of the fridge door. But, in the future, you gonna have to stick your head inside the fridge and get the complete model number. I know, I know, it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it. In this case, it probably doesn't make a difference. But could cause a major problem in the future. Searching schematics with the info you provided yielded
(35) results found for model # gs6nbe

(11) results found for model # GF6NFE

that's 46 possible different types......that's more types than illustrated in this excerpt from the hit daytime drama "As the Appliantology World Turns"

Doctor: "The horror, the horror! Nurse, what happened?"
Nurse : "Well, I ordered the blood. I ordered blood type A"
Doctor: "But the patient is AB+!"
Nurse: "Yeah, A, AB, AB- ... it's in the same family. Don't tell me it makes a difference? Oh my Gaaaaawd!
Doctor: "Now your twin sister, who we all thought was you and we all thought died after her parachute didn't open but miraculously came back to life a year later, is now dead again. I, Dr. Iva Brightsmile, could have saved her.

Ominous Voice Over Person: "Was the death of Nurse Ratchet's sister accidental, or was it murder so Ratchet could inherit the Northland 72 inch fridge she coveted? Did Sensei Budget's advice work or could there have been a service bulletin that read 'use cubed ice after crushed ice EXCEPT for model GS6Nbexrao3 as doing so will cause complete and utter compressor meltdown'? Did Grasshopper have model GS6Nbexrao3? Stay tuned."

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 19 November 2011 - 08:24 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 IB4OU

IB4OU

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

Sorry, complete model # is GS6NBEXRL01. Dang Whirlpool for making me stick my head inside the fridge! :)

We rarely, if ever, use crushed ice. I'm almost positive this is a malfunction with the trap door (sorry I can't think of a better name for it) open mechanism. There are times when a glass is pressed against the pad to activate ice realease that this door will not even open even though the auger in the reservoir is working. That's when I have to open it manually and then break the glob of ice apart. It will then start working again. Then later in the day, the wife or kids will tell me it's not working again. Repeat cycle...

It seems that when the pad is pushed, the auger in the reservoir is activated and releases ice down to the trap door. Since the trap door isn't opening properly and the ice is no longer in the freezer it starts melting and turns into the large blob.

Thank you!

#5 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

which part in this diagram looks like what you are calling the trap door?Posted Image

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#6 IB4OU

IB4OU

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

I believe it's part # 6. I know for sure that it attaches to part # 7 and is opened and closed by the motor part # 5.

#7 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

I'd remove the ice bucket on the door, clear out the ice chute, and in a semi dark room, shine a flash light down the ice chute, and observe from out side the door, if you can see the light from the flash light, then you have an air leak, causing the ice chute to freeze.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 IB4OU

IB4OU

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:30 AM

Do you know of any thing that would cause the door (part 6) or lever (part 7) to bind? If I remove the door and lever, the motor and cam (part 4) will turn to the open and closed positions normally. With the lever and door installed, it will open and close sometimes, but most of the time they will just remain in the closed position even though I can hear the motor trying to work.

I have cleaned out the chute and the pad that is on the backside of the door but it didn't seem to help. Also, I removed the cam and the door will open and close freely. I'm not sure where or how it's binding up.

I posted a couple of videos on youtube that might help show what I'm talking about. If you turn the sound up you can hear the motor trying to work. Sorry for the video orientation, It was my first upload.

Video with door installed:

Video with door removed:

#9 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

it almost sounds like the motor gears are stripped out. There is not that much tension on the spring, for the chute door. From what I see it looks like the motor itself has failed internally. I would try a new motor, to see if that will resolve the opening problem.

As far as the ice chute getting frozen up, were you able to check the seal of the chute door?

#10 IB4OU

IB4OU

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:17 AM

There's not a spring at all for the chute door. From what I can tell it just relies on the motor to close the door tight enough so that the pad on the backside of the door seals with the plastic of the chute. I did shine a flashlight down the chute and there is a bit a light of shining through. So I'm thinking of getting a new door and motor unless you have any other suggestions.

Thank you very much for your help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Whirlpool, icemaker, GS6NBE, GF6NFE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics