Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cabrio washing machine WTW5640XW0 gear case replacement

Cabrio washing machine WTW564

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jkilgore34

jkilgore34

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

I just looked at a newer model cabrio washing machine model #WTW5640XW0. It is roaring during the spin cycle indicating bad bearings correct? It looks as though whirlpool has made it so you can replace the bearings, which are now on the gearcase, without replacing the outer tub. I was wondering if someone could walk me through tearing this machine down and then puting it back together. I tried to pull the inner tub today but was stumped at what I found. I had to use a spanner wrench to get the spanner nut off. then remove the plate with the six screws in it that looks like the same plate that are on the older models. Under that is where I was stumped. There is some sort of hub under there and I'm not sure how to get that off. If someone could please help me it would be much appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

SOB about drove me to madness the other day, so hope you benefit from my ordeal...
Put those 6 screws back in the hub...underneath, remove all the harnesses and the 4 bolts holding the gear case up. Put something down under it if the floor is damaged easily.
go back up top and take a wood block and hammer to that effin shaft and drive it down.
the basket hub and the shaft are splined together...a real bitch to just try to pull out.
this is the only way I could get the basket out of the one I was working on...rots o ruck GI!
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 jkilgore34

jkilgore34

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thanks alot for the info. So when I go to put the unit back together with new gearcase in place, how do I get the basket hub back on the shaft. Does it go on easier than it comes off?

#4 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

Naw, I cleaned up the splines and lubed 'em alittle ...took a few tries to get it lined up but when it oriented, it fell right in place.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#5 jkilgore34

jkilgore34

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

ok I am going to do the gearcase replacement tomorrow. Just wanting to know if there was anything else that may be difficult to watch for. Any more steps to take that I should be concerned with?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,363 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

Have you seen this info from Brother Nick ==> http://www.applianto...066#entry216066

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics