Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

No Water in Dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 b_sinning

b_sinning

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:04 PM

I have a frigidare dishwasher a few years old and all of the sudden it's not getting any water. I've replaced the water inlet valve following instructions here http://fixitnow.com/...-dishwasher.htm

Thanks for those by the way.

Even after replacing the valve I'm still not getting water in the dishwasher. What to try next?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 b_sinning

b_sinning

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

I finally found my multimeter. I just tested the old water inlet valve and it's fine. I guess I now have a spare one. I'm thinking it must be power going to the valve. Hmmmm...now what?

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:41 PM

Use that new-found multimeter to see if you're getting voltage to the fill valve. If not, check the float switch and timer.

#4 b_sinning

b_sinning

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

The dishwasher runs but no water so I believe the timer is ok. Would a dead float switch prevent the water inlet valve from allowing water though?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:38 PM

[user=473]b_sinning[/user] wrote:

...so I believe the timer is ok.

Beliefs are for religion; this is appliance repair-- we know or we don't know. And in order to know, we use instruments, such as multimeters, and wiring diagrams to help us navigate the circuitry. In my previous post, I linked you to an article that explains how to use your meter. Read it, use it.

Yes, a bad float switch can stop the valve from getting voltage, so can a bad timer contact-- that's why I instructed you to use your meter and find out which is the culprit.

Your next post should have specific questions about making this measurement and/or a post of your wiring diagram so I can tell you exactly where and what to measure.

#6 technonovice

technonovice

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:23 PM

I have the same exact problem with a GE dishwasher. I have changed out the water inlet valve with another one off another GE dishwasher and still no water coming in. I have checked the overflow switch with an ohm-meter and it is ok. I have also checked the voltage coming into the water inlet valve (after I changed the valve out) and got no voltage while the dishwasher was running. What else could it be and where is it located. Also a good way to check it would be nice too.

Thanks,

Techno-novice

#7 technonovice

technonovice

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

Oh yeah, the model number is GSC3200Z03BL and its a GE.

Thanks

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

Do you have a heat/air dry switch??  These are known to burn out causing no voltage to the fill valve from the timer/conrtol.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#9 technonovice

technonovice

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:38 PM

There is a button on the front of it that says "heated dry". How do I check it? Is there a way to by-pass it?

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

Cut the power to your unit and access the switch to check it with your ohm meter or with your volt stick if you have one and want to check for voltage thru this switch.  I would not care to address by-passing this.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#11 technonovice

technonovice

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:39 AM

Well, I have checked the heated dry switch. It has 3 wires coming of of it. Orange, blue, and black w/white strip. I pulled the wires off and checked the switch with my ohm meter. It had continuity from the middle terminal and left terminal in the on position and then I switched it to the off position and it had continuity from the middle and right terminals. That tells me that the switch checks out good. Now just out of curiosity I checked the continuity on the wires themselves and I had continuity on the blue and black wires going to the switch from the timer. Can this mean the timer is bad?

Now when you try to run the machine, the knob on the timer turns which means that the rotating knob part of the timer is working.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

Get you a volt stick and see where you are losing voltage to the valve.  If you show voltage to the valve, perhaps you did not turn the water back on or the float bubble is stick  up if no voltage to the valve but voltage to the float switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics