Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Refrigerator Repair Sub Zero Model 532

Warm to Hot Yoder

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FathersBest

FathersBest

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

My fridge and Freezer are both functioning but the center separation between the Beer Cooler and the freezer goes from warm to hot and back. The compressor seems to be always on, never takes a break. I've been told to take apart the freezer but I'm not sure just how to go about that. I've also been told that I can't get parts for the Sub Zero and feel like I'm shut out of fixing it myself. This all started when I noticed that my fridge was losing temperature, so we vacuumed the coil area and it became cool again right away. I can be mechanical and don't have much to spend fixing this monstrosity. Can anybody help?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

The refrigerant lines run between the separation to reduce exterior moisture. It is normal to get hot.

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

The part in between the fresh food section and the freezer section is called the 'stile' ....Refrigerant lines run from the condenser coils down to the drain pan in this 'stile'.....It has been called a 'stile heater' or correct name a 'mullion heater'. The tube assy is a 'yoder loop' ....... it should not be 'hot', ( too hot to touch ) it should be warm or a bit above warm....Put your cheek to it, nice and cozy warm or did you just brand your self???..I would first check the condenser fan motor, spinning nice and about 1300 R.P.M.???? If motor is sluggish or will not start every time , up date the motor This is what draws cool air thru the coils to keep the refrigerant from basically baking your compressor... ( Which in turn will shift your 'super heat ' zone and you do not get the correct temp of refrigerant to the evaporator coils ) ....You do not need a Sub-O motor, you need one with a 'foot mount' ( 51 frame ) ....like p/n 61021 or 65211 or 65411 depending on the motor R.P.M. keep us posted..

Edited by certified tech group 51, 28 November 2011 - 10:24 AM.

#4 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

Put your cheek to it, nice and cozy warm or did you just brand your self???

love this ultra-high tech diagnostic tool, CTG! actually this is very a accurate way to determine if the cond. fan is working properly. LMFAO!
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#5 FathersBest

FathersBest

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

The fan and motor that I am to check is above the fridge/freezer, behind a shield, correct? How will I know that it isn't functioning properly? Should I just replace this motor? I really appreciate your help!

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Condenser Fan
On top of Fridge, on right side of Compressors

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

You are lucky to have this unit in the home to keep an eye on it....Remove the top grill and the panel, put some eyes on the motor....If my wire schematic is correct, your condenser motor should be running all of the time......You have your own tech sheet attached to the panel to the left, yellow envelope.....Is the motor hot to the touch, no need to put your cheek to it, tried it once and my hair got caught in the small whirling blade... :silly: ......motor will be warm from the hot air from the condenser coil..... Has the compressor operation changed since you vac'ed the coils..???? If every thing is hunky-dory with the condenser motor we will move on to removing the fresh food evap panel...But no need to rush, some times it takes up to 24 hours or so for the system to bring the refrigerant down to operating temps.....I.E. kitchen temps, door openings....warm food stuff....P.S. do you have a thermometer in the fresh food section ?? Temp.is _____?

Edited by certified tech group 51, 29 November 2011 - 10:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics