Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike_samurai

squealing Estate TAWS700EQ2 direct drive

21 posts in this topic

Hello.

My Estate washing machine is making a loud buzzing noise when the drain pump is running. This just started today. The pump appears to be running and draining water.

Does this sound like an obstruction in the drain pump, like a button or rock?

Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance,

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Does this sound like an obstruction in the drain pump, like a button or rock?

Is this a common problem?

:yes: x 2 (sorry, can't talk. Mouth full of t-day leftovers)

Edited by DurhamAppliance

Hey Thanks.

Now, is is OK to drain the washer before tying into it? Will it damage the pump?

difficult to say. Your pump may already be damaged and may need replacing despite currently working. It's a personal choice, you can clamp off the hose line and replace the pump without too much water escaping or you can go ahead and use the washer pump, clear the obstruction and check to see if pump damaged or go ahead and replace the pump since you are messin with it anyway.

Tore it apart..........

The pump pumped water because it was working.

The loud noise? Broken motor coupling. :yes:

Or it could be your motor coupling. :groucho: Wait, did you say "coupling?" Well sir, you guessed the secret word and for that, you win our most coveted grand prize .................a duck duck2.gif.

Thanks again for playing You Bet Your Life You Can Fix Your Own Appliance. :)

Your prize will be waiting for you backstage. .....uh...Hello?..He's still waiting.....tapping_foot.gif

Edited by DurhamAppliance

The motor couplings make a buzzing noise if there is a crack in it, even before they break completely.

Thanks for the replies-

It is always an education. I certainly thought it had to be the drain pump.

That buzzing noise may well have been there in the past, I just wasn't listening very well.

Thankfully, my local appliance store had the part in stock, and we are up and running. Whew.

I replaced my motor coupling, which fixed the buzzing/not spinning problem. However, a new noise has developed: a constant, high pitched squeal near the end of the drain/spin cycle.

Thoughts ?

Item caught in the pump ?

OK,

More diagnostics done: Pulled off the pump, and ran it thru a spin cycle. The squealing returned after about 2 minutes of spinning the damp load.

This should rule out the pump.

What next?

Unfortunately,

I can't do a recording right now. I could maybe get something together by tomorrow, if it would help.

Another tidbit: I felt the motor shaft (pump end) after shutting it off - the shaft was pretty hot.

Yes it could be the motor bearings as well, with motor disconnected shaft(s) should turm smoothly in both directions with a small amount of resistance (not scratchy) - shouldn't be much end play or side to side play. Can be run, supported from twisting, on the floor disengaged from transmission - though it unloads the motor.

OK,

Played a bit more. Unable to recreate the squealing condition. It does, however, squeak for a second or so, the instant the spin cycle stops.

Another day of use, and more problems:

1. Squealing during agitation

2. Burning/hot smell

3. Oil on the underside of gearcase.....

Does this mean what I think it means?

OK,

I think it is now fixed. The coupling needed to be pounded flush on the transmission input shaft. The coupling was effectively 1/4" too long, thus putting axial load on the motor...and bearings... thus making the bearings squeak and the motor work too hard.

We are up and running. I did probably take a bit of the motor's life away with that stunt.

For your general knowledge.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0