Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore dryer possessed - help!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:24 PM

We have a Kenmore dryer , model # 110.96590820.  We've never had a problem with it, until last night.  I went to dry a load of clothes, and it wouldn't turn on.  Checked the fuse box, saw the fuse was blown.  There was also scorching by the outlet, so I unplugged it and called a friend.  He came over and pulled the outlet.  He said there was something that looked like soap on the outlet, and that was why the outlet blew.  He replaced it with a new outlet, cleaned everything up and tested it.  Everything worked fine.  I then dried my clothes, and it worked perfectly.

Now, less than 24 hours later, I went up to do a load of laundry.  I smelled the scorchy smell and there was a bigger mark on the wall, so I tried to turn on the dryer.  Wouldn't work.  Went to the fuse box, fuse was again thrown.  Went back up and unplugged the dryer, and there's a whole bunch of gunky stuff on the plug.  There's also a small line of something that looks like soap coming out of the outlet, but here's the thing - I haven't done any laundry or used any soap since last night.  The walls are dry and no soap or liquids are stored above the dryer.  My friend also looked inside the outlet while he had it open last night, and there was nothing inside to indicate that there was a leak from inside the wall.  Any suggestions?  Please?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:44 PM

Very odd indeed, Grasshopper! Was this soapy stuff wet and runny or a waxy, sebacious secretion? Can you post a photo or several?

#3 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:55 PM

I left my cord to download from my digital camera at work:(

It's dry and crusty to the touch, almost crystallike.  It's light green.  It's run down the wall from the bottom prong of the outlet, and there's a lot of it on the part you plug into the wall (sorry the word is escaping me at the moment).  From the marks on the wall, I'd say it was liquid, but has dried.  If this doesn't help, I'll post the pics on Monday.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:11 PM

Sounds like a roof leak, water is dripping on the romex (the wire behind the wall that powers the outlet) and running down into the outlet.

Is your dryer outlet located on an outside wall?

#5 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:21 PM

No, it's in the middle of the house.  There's at least one room, if not two, in every direction.

#6 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:28 PM

I just went up and re-checked the walls and ceilings on both sides of the wall around where the dryer sits.  No water spots or discolorations.  We had some issues with water about two years ago in a nearby room, but on the far side of it away from where the dryer is.

So, if it is water in there, how do I find it, or stop it?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:31 PM

Did the water issues originate from a leak in the roof?

#8 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

It's a wood shingle roof, and when we moved in there were a couple that were shook loose by a tornado.  Some water seeped through, and caused a water mark in the ceiling of the room next door.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:43 PM

I suspect you have another leak in the roof, possibly at an eave. You didn't answer my previous question about whether the dryer outlet is on an outside wall, but I'm guessing it is. Am I right or am I right?

#10 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

No, I answered,  unless I don't understand what an outside wall is.  The dryer area is in the dead middle of the house.  It's in the stairwell area on the second floor, with rooms on every side of it.  It's at least 14 ft. away from any outside wall of the house.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:57 PM

Ok, missed that one; so it's not leaking eaves. But since your roof has been impacted by a tornado, it wouldn't surprise me if it had developed another leak roughly over the location of your dryer outlet.

Or, the roof could be fine; might be a leaking pipe.

Bottom line: You got water where it ain't supposed to be and it's coming from somewhere! Your dryer outllet problems are just an early warning sign that there's big trouble in little China.

#12 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

Okay, so now the stupid question:  who do I call?  A roofer?  An appliance guy?  A plumber?  Or all three?

You're great, by the way!

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

Won't know who to call until we know the origin of the leak. You (or someone) will need to cut some exploratory holes in the sheet rock and use illuminated periscopes to try and discern the point of origin. Maybe a home inspector dude? Maybe a carpenter?

#14 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

Okay, that'll be my first call.  Thanks again!

#15 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:40 AM

Here's a photo of the outlet.

Attached Files

#16 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:41 AM

And here's one of the prongs.

Attached Files

#17 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:29 AM

Severe problems there. Unplug, call electrician.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#18 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:49 AM

Okay, I'm gonna apologize up front if I sould whiny.  But I started with an electrician.  He put in a new outlet, and it did this within 24 hours.

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:37 AM

I disagree with the Mad One; we've already been the electrician route and all he can do is fix the symptome (corroded outlet) but not the root problem (water leak).

Those pictures are freaky! The circuit breaker has done its job by preventing a major electrical fire in your house.

#20 cathy4328

cathy4328

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:39 AM

I told you it was bizarre.  Almost reminded me of the ecto stuff from Ghostbusters.  That's why I think it's possessed...

Also, and this was very strange, can't remember if I've said this or not.  The first time it blew, the stuff was sticky and wet to the touch  which is why my electrician friend thought that soap had gotten on it.  The second time - dry as can be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics