Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

ge washer outer basket moving to much(wjsr2080t2aa)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rubyandthepeach

rubyandthepeach

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Just replaced the tranny, tub seal, sleeve bearing(in outer tub) & dampenind straps. In wash/rinse cycle, the outer basket moves in sync with the spin basket. It moves back and forth sort of fast and hard. I don't remember it doing this before. Is the outer basket supposed to stay still
while the spin basket and agitator move? I'm worried the suspension rods and dampening straps will break. I also put some anti sieze on the split ring and bottom of hub(to prevent later rust/freezing) and now the spin basket slowly makes rotations in wash/rinse cycle.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

Does the basket brake after spin or does it just freewheel until it stops? Does water leak over the side during agitate? Why did you spend so much time and money fixing this POS washer?

#3 rubyandthepeach

rubyandthepeach

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

No it brakes well. And no water flows over. That's why I changed the tranny. I just don't think the outer basket moved so much before. Together all the parts only cost about $165, so I can't bitch too much.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Okay, fair enough. A little indexing of the inner basket relative to the outer tub is normal in this washer, I forget what the spec is but it's something on the order of 1/8 of a turn. What are you seeing?

#5 rubyandthepeach

rubyandthepeach

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

it's about that. maybe 1/4 inch. But according to the people at ge, only the agitator is supposed to move. not the spin or outer basket. Is the outer basket supposed to move back and forth? I don't know if I'm explaining it well.

#6 rubyandthepeach

rubyandthepeach

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

I have a video of it in action, but it's to big to send it thru my email(15mg)

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

YouTube Video ?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:21 AM

If the brake is working correctly you won't get any or at least very little movement of the inner spin basket.

But come on, think about it, you don't think the outer tub assembly is going to move back and forth when you have a full tub of water and clothes that keep changing direction when they agitate? That's part of the job of the suspension straps, to keep the tub from moving to much when agitating and also to keep it somewhat under control with out of balance spins.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:14 AM

That whole assembly will move around quite a bit in normal operation. It's pretty softly sprung and bounces around and twists back and forth during wash. Put it back together and wash some clothes.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#10 rubyandthepeach

rubyandthepeach

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

Yeah I figured it would move a little. It didn't seem to move that much before I put the new parts in. Everything else seems to work good. Doesn't leak, brake works good after wash/rinse. One more question. Should the tub bearing(the long sleeve bearing in the bottom of the outer basket) be lubed? I've heard their impregnated with oil. Thanx for the help.

#11 rubyandthepeach

rubyandthepeach

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

I just posted a video on youtube under GE washer outer basket moving too much.
I don't know what the humming/vibrating noise is. I think it might be the clutch/motor.

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 14 December 2011 - 05:59 PM.

#12 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

What it is doing is normal operation it is louder because you had it on a small load cycle... I could hear a strange noise coming from the motor clutch

#13 rubyandthepeach

rubyandthepeach

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, it sounds like it's coming from the motor/clutch area. Some kind of vibration. But if that's normal operation for the washer, then that's one less worry. Thanx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics