Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Choice for 36" Dual fuel stove?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 clightle

clightle

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

I need to purchase a 36" dual fuel range for a kitchen remodel I just completed in my house. My wife would like a big knobbed stainless steel stove without pilots (not a real commercial unit). We have been considering Wolf, Viking, Electrolux, Aga, DCS, Dacor, GE Monograms, Verona, etc. I have worked on appliances some and know that the more complicated something is built, the more likely something is going to go wrong. I also know that if you ask 100 people what their opinion about the reliability of a unit is, answers won't be consistent. All that being said, I would like to know peoples perspective of 36" dual fuel stoves from the perspective of:
1) Design...ease of access to parts, choice of sufficient quality parts by manufacturer, general studiness/build
2) Repairability...availability of parts reasonably quick/low cost, available information for troubleshooting (wiring diagrams on unit or in easily acquired manual)

I know with the criteria of 36" dual fuel range with convection oven it greatly limits the available units, but that is what we are looking for to put in our cabinent hole.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or input.

Craig

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

There's only one choice: Dacor. It's the only high end appliance brand that I recommend in good conscience. Why?

- good tech support and open access to tech documents.

- good parts distribution system; they don't make you buy parts exclusively thru them so they can rape you some more; you can buy Dacor parts thru this site :)

- good, solid family-owned business

- 100% Ameedeekan made by illegal immigrants in the People's Republic of California. (kidding about the illegal immigrants part ;) ).

#3 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

I agree with the sammie on this with one caveat ...on occassion, I have found that dacor will discontinue a part to quickly.
example; customer had a dacor double oven, made in '99...needed the touchpad asm...NLA. I found it I little off that the only option to make this better was to replace the oven ($3000) vs. a $200 part.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#4 clightle

clightle

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the input. Is Dacor one of those companies that also make other name badged stoves, or is a Dacor the only 'Dacor'?

Thanks

Craig

#5 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

Far as I know Dacor is the only Dacor, and they don't sub for other companies.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Maybe an oven and cooktop or combi-set - check these: http://www.mieleusa....urthL=Combisets
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

http://www.ajmadison.com/
for prices and dimensions, etc
can choose multiple check-boxes, etc ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 clightle

clightle

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the link to AJmadison. I have been to that website and will most likely purchase from them (unless I go used/refubrished). The only issue with them is that due to supplier aggreements they can even quote for the GE Monograms nor the Wolf ranges because I am out of their service area. I live in south eastern ohio(very rural) and the closest dealers with 36" stoves in a showroom are cincinnati, columbus or lexington (2.5, 2 and 4 hr drives). There are some reps of some of the companies within 1 hr drive, but they don't have any inventory.

#9 clightle

clightle

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

I ended up getting the Kitchenaid due to cost(<5K) and positive reviews. I recieved the kdrs467 today. To complete the installation I:
1) ran the gas line to a 20lb propane tank with a regulator (rv type that automatically switches between 2 tanks when one is low.
2) installed LP conversian kit and flipped the regulator plug
3) swapped out all of the orifice
4) switched the electic 240 volt cord to match my 240 volt outlet.
5) lowered the low gas flow needle valve to lowest setting for each burner

.....The good...
Packaging and shipping was very good and quick (ordered from ebay dealer from Maryland to save about 1500 compared to retail, or about 3-400 compared to sites like AJ madison

The stove looks good and came with orifice kit to convert to LP. The unit seems be be layed out logical and well constructed.

....the bad...
The far left burners wouldn't ignite. When the front was attempting to ignite, I notice no spark on the front, but the back was sparking. When the rear was attempting to ignite, I noticed no spark on the back but the front was sparking.

I attempted to resolve this issue while I had the front panel lowered while I was adjusting the low needle valve setting. The mistake I made was that the range was not unplugged. I pulled one of the igniter blade connections apart and apparently got it too close to a ground. There was an arc and a bright light. I unplugged the unit, tapped up where the insulation had burn through to ground and swapped the lower blade connections between the front and the rear burners(left side only). I plugged it in and found the same issue was still there. I switched the top side of the blade connections, plugged it in and tried again. This time it worked. After this troubleshooting, I figured I would check the wiring diagram to see what got screwed up to begin with. According the wiring diagram, the way I ended up fixing it was the way it should have been wired from the factory.

Apparently the guy at the factory putting this stove together didn't notice that the red was supposed to go on the first knob and the blue was supposed to go on the left. He had these two burners backwards.

Oh well......My wife is happy with the stove and now it works.

...Just posting incase someone else has the same issue....and to let everyone know which direction I went.

#10 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the followup and good job on the repair on your brand new range.
I admire your moxey to tackle that knowing the unit to be brand new...most folks would call me for that.
You did learn one valuable lesson...always flip that breaker !
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics