Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW water left over in tub after cycle

Water remaining in the tub

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wilfor03

wilfor03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee ('n Miller Lite)

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

I have a maytag neptune washing machine (about 5 years old): MAH5500BWW, and there is always water in the bottom of the tub when the cycle finishes? Is this the way all of the maytags are? It smells moldy in the machine after doing washing..I watched the cycle finish up twice yesterday, water gushes out after the spin cycle, but when its shuts off, still water in the bottom of the tub. I can hear it when I spin the tub checking for socks, underwear, whatever may be left over...thank you
Bill

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

How long is the drain hose and how high is it above the washer?

When the washer is pumping out, lift the drain hose carefully just enough so you can eyeball the discharge stream. Should be full-bore, turbulent, and manly. If it tapers off to a smooth, girly-man stream as soon as exits the drain hose, then we have what we professional appliantologists call a "drain restriction."

#3 wilfor03

wilfor03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

Its roughly the same height as the top of the drum on the inside of the washer. When it drains the water, it's REALLY coming out fast and hard, all the way down to the dribble when it's finished. It finally shuts off as its finished, showing "0" on the timer, the beeper buzzes. Could it be a kink in the hose when the installers put it in the wash room? Thanks for you attention......I really appreciate cha......Bill

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Is this a new problem that just started when the washer was relocated? Has the washer worked okay up till now?

#5 wilfor03

wilfor03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

Naw, pretty much been doing this for the past couple years? Its just getting to the point that the odor from the water standing in the tub is annoying and seems mold is starting to form??? YIKES!!
I know the water is changed out each time we do laundry but the moldy smell is something else???

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

Has this washer been in the same location since you got it? Is what you're seeing now different from what you've seen in the past?

#7 wilfor03

wilfor03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

The moldy smell seems to be getting worse......the water issue has really always been there....we thought that was sorta "normal"?

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

... I know the water is changed out each time we do laundry
... but the moldy smell is something else???

1) yes
2) yes, common problem on front-loaders ... mold growth under the front bottom Lip of the drum Gasket
(after cleaning, leave the Door open for a few hours after every Wash Load)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

I have a maytag neptune washing machine (about 5 years old): MAH5500BWW, and there is always water in the bottom of the tub when the cycle finishes?
I can hear it when I spin the tub checking for socks, underwear, whatever may be left over...thank you

Can you see the water, or Just hear it when you turn the drum? it makes a big difference!
Are the clothes still wet at the end of the spin cycle? It matter a lot!

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#10 wilfor03

wilfor03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Sometimes I can see the water(very little bit in the bottom center), but I can always hear it when I spin the drum by hand. Sometimes, it splashes the water up into the drum again?

#11 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

The water noise you hear when you spin the basket by hand is not water, it's the saline solution in the basket ring that helps to balance the basket while it spins, it is supposed to be there.
Scott Wolf

#12 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

To help with the odor here are a few tips..'

1 Use HE soap only and less is more
2 Dont use fabric softener use white vinegar instead (natural softener and disinfects too)
3 Wash the machine first put 2 cups of vinegar into the washer with hot water run through cycle empty to clean the machine.. If you really killer the odors do it again this time with bleach..
4 always leave the door open to let the moisture out of the machines...
5 wipe down the door boot with bleach

One side affect of using too much soap people with get rashes were they sweat on the shoulder, back, legs ect that nobody knows where I have seen in over and over again ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics