Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
wilfor03

Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW water left over in tub after cycle

12 posts in this topic

I have a maytag neptune washing machine (about 5 years old): MAH5500BWW, and there is always water in the bottom of the tub when the cycle finishes? Is this the way all of the maytags are? It smells moldy in the machine after doing washing..I watched the cycle finish up twice yesterday, water gushes out after the spin cycle, but when its shuts off, still water in the bottom of the tub. I can hear it when I spin the tub checking for socks, underwear, whatever may be left over...thank you

Bill

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

How long is the drain hose and how high is it above the washer?

When the washer is pumping out, lift the drain hose carefully just enough so you can eyeball the discharge stream. Should be full-bore, turbulent, and manly. If it tapers off to a smooth, girly-man stream as soon as exits the drain hose, then we have what we professional appliantologists call a "drain restriction."

Its roughly the same height as the top of the drum on the inside of the washer. When it drains the water, it's REALLY coming out fast and hard, all the way down to the dribble when it's finished. It finally shuts off as its finished, showing "0" on the timer, the beeper buzzes. Could it be a kink in the hose when the installers put it in the wash room? Thanks for you attention......I really appreciate cha......Bill

Is this a new problem that just started when the washer was relocated? Has the washer worked okay up till now?

Naw, pretty much been doing this for the past couple years? Its just getting to the point that the odor from the water standing in the tub is annoying and seems mold is starting to form??? YIKES!!

I know the water is changed out each time we do laundry but the moldy smell is something else???

Has this washer been in the same location since you got it? Is what you're seeing now different from what you've seen in the past?

The moldy smell seems to be getting worse......the water issue has really always been there....we thought that was sorta "normal"?

... I know the water is changed out each time we do laundry

... but the moldy smell is something else???

1) yes

2) yes, common problem on front-loaders ... mold growth under the front bottom Lip of the drum Gasket

(after cleaning, leave the Door open for a few hours after every Wash Load)

I have a maytag neptune washing machine (about 5 years old): MAH5500BWW, and there is always water in the bottom of the tub when the cycle finishes?

I can hear it when I spin the tub checking for socks, underwear, whatever may be left over...thank you

Can you see the water, or Just hear it when you turn the drum? it makes a big difference!

Are the clothes still wet at the end of the spin cycle? It matter a lot!

Sometimes I can see the water(very little bit in the bottom center), but I can always hear it when I spin the drum by hand. Sometimes, it splashes the water up into the drum again?

The water noise you hear when you spin the basket by hand is not water, it's the saline solution in the basket ring that helps to balance the basket while it spins, it is supposed to be there.

To help with the odor here are a few tips..'

1 Use HE soap only and less is more

2 Dont use fabric softener use white vinegar instead (natural softener and disinfects too)

3 Wash the machine first put 2 cups of vinegar into the washer with hot water run through cycle empty to clean the machine.. If you really killer the odors do it again this time with bleach..

4 always leave the door open to let the moisture out of the machines...

5 wipe down the door boot with bleach

One side affect of using too much soap people with get rashes were they sweat on the shoulder, back, legs ect that nobody knows where I have seen in over and over again ....