Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Gallery (PLHS267ZAB0) won't stop dispensing ice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Credential

Credential

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

Good evening.

When I shut my freezer door, the ice bin auger begins to run and won't stop...other buttons on the ice maker are unresponsive. It's best that I explain the chain of events that led to this.

I found that the water dispenser was quite sticky inside...after filling a glass of water, the handle did not snap back to place and led to a little bit of water running after the glass was taken away. I used a wet q-tip to clean right inside the hinges that attached the handle you push with you glass to activate the water.

For reasons that I still do not understand, I decided to take off the face of the water/ice dispenser during this cleaning process...this piece is also connected to the door of the fridge via some wires with a 10-pin cable. While I was taking this piece off, the cable came out.

Once I had cleaned the hinges, reconnected the wiring from the fridge to the face of the water/ice dispenser and closed the door to the freezer, the auger began turning and did not stop. I could not dispense water and other buttons on the panel were unresponsive (cube, chip, etc.)

I let it dry out for 30 minutes and tried again, but with no luck. I disconnected/reconnected power and tried again...same thing. The auger keeps turning.

Any one have ideas on what I managed to do this time!?

Thanks.
Lee

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

Is that 10-pin Connector on the correct way ?
Does it continue to Dispense if that Connector is disconnected ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Credential

Credential

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hi there....thanks for your reply.

Yes, the 10-pin connector is on the correct way...I tried connecting it the other way and the grooves in the connector prevented me from doing so.

If the 10-pin connecter is disconnected, it does not dispense. However, it also disables the entire water/ice dispenser. While the fridge/freezer will work, I am without the ability to get filtered water and ice from the front of the fridge. I'd like to get those working again.

Thoughts?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

.. If the 10-pin connecter is disconnected, it does not dispense.

it seems to be just a set of Switches ... one (or more) may be shorted..
may be able to test each Switch with a meter..
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=917137

00978566.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,713 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

Maybe a bad Ice Actuator
Also possibly a bad microswitch as per the Samurai when he was young and virile.
http://fixitnow.com/...stead-of-pours/

With regards to the buttons...recheck wires as per Sensei Reg. It doesn't look like you have a dispenser lock feature, although it may be a feature on another model, it may be an unlisted feature on your fridge and could have been accidentally engaged when messin with control panel. Try pressing each button one at a time and hold each one for 5 secs....if not...then probably board. I would then replace board again as per Sensei Reg. If that doesn't fix the dispensing problem as well, look to the ice actuator 24a and then microswitch. 38a

Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 05 December 2011 - 12:13 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 Credential

Credential

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

Ah great info....yes, I too was starting to think that the fridge was possessed! (I've had lots of trouble with this one...and appliantology has continued to come through for me time after time!)

This info will keep a newbie like me busy for a while. I'll have to locate a device to help me check the electronic measurements. In the meantime, I'll try the non-electrical tips:

- press each button for the 5 seconds and deactivate the possible unlisted dispenser lock feature
- clear and confirm that the water tubing is connected

If both are working, which circuit board do you recommend changing first. Sensei Reg kindly posted a picture of the front panel, but I'm not sure which board is in need of replacing first...38C or 38 (as indicated in the picture above). Of note, upon inspection of board 38C, there was no 'browning' on the board or obvious indication of a problem area. As for 38 above, I could only see the back and it looked okay).

Thanks again.
Lee

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Maybe a bad Ice Actuator
Also possibly a bad microswitch as per the Samurai when he was young and virile.
http://fixitnow.com/...stead-of-pours/

That post you linked to is just a year old and I had completely forgotten I had posted that. Good find, Brother Durham! :rocker:

#8 Credential

Credential

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

Okay...I tried holding down each button for 5 seconds and checked the waterline to make sure it's connected. Those things check out okay. It's as if the ice auger activation switch is being held down constantly and thus, stopping anything else on the panel from working (i.e. I can't dispense water and the buttons on the front of the panel are unresponsive. Three of the five lights are lit once I re-connect the 10-pin connector. I cannot change from cube to crush, turn light on, etc. Everything is frozen up.

I'll perform a continuity check on microswitch once I get the tool needed to do so.

In the meantime, are there any other checks you recommend to rule out some things? For example, if I disconnect the wire going into the ice maker side of the microswitch, will the result (nothing changes, or the auger stops turning) provide any clues as to whether or not a circuit board is fried (or for that matter, which one is fried!). I'll be buying my parts through this website, but since I live in Canada, I need them shipped to the border post office for me to pick them up (2.5 hour round trip!). In an effort to save time (and some $$$), I'm trying to do everything I can to narrow down the parts I need to buy without having to buy more parts than I need, or making more than one trip.

Thanks again.
Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics