Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune TL FAV6800AWW

clutch spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaytagSucks

MaytagSucks

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Templeton Rye

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

I have a Maytag Neptune TL and I'd like some help. (Model # FAV6800AWW)

Problem:
About two minutes into the spin cycle the machine starts to bang and shake uncontrollably. Then eventually it stops w/a dc code. It will not complete the spin cycle unless I take all the wet clothing out!

What I've done so far:
Some one mentioned to me to check to see if the water is draining and that the pump is working correctly. So I removed the hoses and looked for an article of clothing or something. I'm confidant that the water is draining completely.

I've opened up the top of the machine (holding the top open while the lid is closed) to observe the spinning. It seems like the spin cycle starts normally. It will spin gradually until the unbalance is too great, then it stops and begins to tumble. After it finishes tumbling it begins to spin and then... CHAOS happens. The tub goes out of control and within a minute it stops and tumbles again.

I read in this forum posted a few years ago that there is a clutch underneath that could be the problem but the tumblers don’t turn when it’s spinning. When it finishes tumbling, they will rotate backwards about a half turn, stop and then start the spinning begins.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

More on that here: http://www.applianto..._hl__neptune tl
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:04 AM

And here ==> http://fixitnow.com/...ubmit=Search...

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Pull the clutch and see if it has signs that water/grease from the tub bearing has leaked down into it. Look for rust.

Parts for these are getting more rare and expensive, you might want to think if it's worth putting cash into this washer.

One of the guys that posts on here is a real expert on these. He owns one and has very extensive knowledge on it's workings including replacement of the tub bearings/seals. It's not an OEM method, but he has developed a method and found the parts needed.

I'm biased on this model. I have fixed many dozens of these things, but I hate them with a deap, dark, seething hate. I wouldn't put 1 cent into it, but I know it's hard to let a $1000 machine go for junk.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics