Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WHIRLPOOL BROILER AND OVEN WON'T LIGHT - SF362LXST0

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 reed

reed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:32 AM

My whirlpool oven, model # SF362LXST0 won't light. The oven won't ignite and neither will the broiler. I replaced the ignitor for the oven and still, nothing.
There are two loud clicks if you try to preheat the oven, but nothing else happens. There is no smell of gas. Range top works fine. Digital panel reads error code F5E1 when you hold down cancel. The internet says this is a door lock fault, but the door lock engages fine. If you push "self clean", the lock engages, and when you cancel "self clean" the lock disengages. Oven is about 5 years old.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

Check the resistance of the coils in the gas valve, upper to centre is broil, lower to centre is bake - if either coil is open, unit will shut down

http://www.repaircli...mber=SF362LXST0

00868657.jpg

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

... If you push "self clean", the lock engages, and when you cancel "self clean" the lock disengages.

does the Door Lock Icon turn ON/OFF respectively ?

#4 reed

reed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

On the display. a green "check mark" appears over "LOCKED" when the lock mechanism engages and the mark disappears when it disengages.

#5 reed

reed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Check the resistance of the coils in the gas valve, upper to centre is broil, lower to centre is bake - if either coil is open, unit will shut down

http://www.repaircli...mber=SF362LXST0

00868657.jpg

I checked the gas safety valve with a multimeter and from bottom to middle it reads 12.9 ohms and from top to middle reads zero ohms. Volt read 129 V from top to middle and 0 from bottom to middle.
No idea what that means.
Also, I cleared the original fault and now the error reads "E2-F0 which means replace the control boards. I ordered a control board, put it in, and it still does the exact same thing; two sharp clicks and no oven or broiler lighting.
No smell of gas.
Any advice or thoughts??

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

I checked the gas safety valve with a multimeter and from bottom to middle it reads 12.9 ohms and from top to middle reads zero ohms.

Are those readings with the Gas Valve disconnected ?
Broil terminal to Common 216 Ω
Bake terminal to Common 216 Ω
( top to bottom may read 432 Ω )

#7 reed

reed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

Are those readings with the Gas Valve disconnected ?
Broil terminal to Common 216 Ω
Bake terminal to Common 216 Ω
( top to bottom may read 432 Ω )

Yes, I disconnected the whole gas valve from the unit and pulled off all three wires that attach.
(gas and electric turned off of course) I might have gotten the 12 and the 129 mixed...might have read 129 ohms instead of 12 ohms as reported above...either way though, the one was definitely reading out at zero.

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Zero, or "Open" (infinite) ? either way, sounds like a bad valve

#9 reed

reed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Zero, or "Open" (infinite) ? either way, sounds like a bad valve

Reads 0.0, but only the one reads that way.

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Zero means a dead short, What does your meter read before you touch the probes to the terminals ? If it does read Zero, that could mean issues with the control circuit that controls it. :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics