Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Reattaching Suspension Spring on Whirlpool Duet WFW9400SB00

Suspension Springs Whirlpool

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Boymom

Boymom

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

OK, I feel like an idiot having to ask for help, but we are desperate to get our washer up and running and since The man won't suck it up and ask for help, I will.

We moved our Whirlpool Duet without the transport bolts ( I know. I KNOW!!) and when we arrived at our new home the tub of the washer was off balance. We have not hooked the washer up yet as it was obvious something was wrong when it was unloaded.

Since we are no longer under warranty, we are trying to do this oursleves. We received some good input indicating it might just be a bad shock or a loose suspension spring, so opened up the back of the machine and found an unattached suspension spring and a shock that had come apart.

We are assuming we need to replace the shock instead of just putting it back together (the metal part has come out of the plastic top part...I know, not a very good desciption, but I don't know how else to explain it).

The bigger issue is the spring. Nothing is broken, it just needs to be reattached to the tub and we CANNOT get the tub lifted high enough to reach the spring! The spring is tight and will not stretch enough to bring it to the place where it hooks on. Are we missing something that needs to be unattached first in order to put this spring back in place or are we just incredibly weak and stupid? Hubby even tried using a jack, but he was afraid something would break before he got the tub in place.

Should we lay the machine down to take some of the tension off of the other springs? Would that help?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice, we don't have a lot of money to throw at a repair guy if we can do this oursleves. Not that repair guys aren't worth their weight in gold, we're just dealing with underemployment and relocation issues that have zapped us financially.

P.S. - Love this site and have learned a TON from the forum!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

Men, can't live with em. can't kill em. :D You will need a heavy duty hook of some sort, bent steel rod and stand on top of the machine (get the man to do this). Hook that spring and pull it up into the slot it came out of. The tub is not as heavy as you think when your pulling it from above. Sometimes the shocks can be put back together and be ok. Give it a try and see how it goes. I've done it before but not on a duet.

#3 Boymom

Boymom

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

Thanks, Santa! We will give it a try and let you know how it works.

I don't see anything else on the forum about others having issues with getting the springs back where they belong. Are we really the only people that have had issues with this? How do the professionals fix this kind of issue when they are by themselves on a job, 'cause these are some really tightly coiled springs!!? Just curious.

#4 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

get a old dryer belt wrap it around top of spring and pull up

#5 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

I just grab it with my hand and lift it up and but it in the hole.. There are two holes one if for the US the other if Europe (it leans further back uses less water) You can use a metal hanger and lift that was you have to remove the top too do this

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

If there are 2 holes, use the one closest to the front panel. Check for leaks, when the tub dropped down, it may have cracked the pump housing or caused other damage.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics