Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Blower Motor not Reliable in HEATING mode - ArcoAire GUG070A012N

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldYeller

OldYeller

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Shiner Bock

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

Hiyall,

I have an ArcoAire GUG070A012N - it runs cold just fine even though its 15+ years old, and the blower turns on every time when the cold cycle is on.

Problem is HEAT - the thing fires, the themostat kicks it on, the elements light up but then nothing happens with the blower motor. I can reach an in and spin the fan and it kicks on sometimes, but not always. It will typically run 4-5 cycles before it croaks again and I have to manually kick-start it.

Seems to me it's not the fan motor b/c it runs properly when the A/C is on, just not when the heat is on.

how else should I trouble shoot this?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

AC and Heating use different speeds in the motor, you likely have a bad capacitor and/or blower motor.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

I agree with Kdog. I would replace the capacitor first. If you continue having problems,replace the blower motor.

#4 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

That is electric heat strips right? The cap could be gone but most likely you got maybe a sequencer going bad. But not gone comepletely. If all the electric circuits in the heater were to be turned on at once the circuit breaker would blow so the elements are turned on in stages with the fan being turned on last so warm air comes out instead of cold. Electric furnace notes
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

#5 OldYeller

OldYeller

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Shiner Bock

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas. Appliance Man - this is a gas model.

#6 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

Well on older models you have a fan/limit that kicks the motor on. A probe is mounted inside the heater chamber and as the temp rises above 110f the fan kicks on. If the fan don't kick on then the bimetal continues over to the limit which kills the heat. Hence it is a fan limit and it looks like this.
On newer models the fan comes on after a timing sequence build into the main board. if that is the case ya probably have a bad or faulty board.
Note: it is impossible to look up HVAC equipment online. Photos of your stuff would be easier to diagnose.
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics