Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid DW KUDP02IRBL1 noisy no grinding

kitchenaid dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 juniorYahoo

juniorYahoo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Domaine DuPage by Two Brothers

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Greetings knuckle-busting appliance warriors,

Experienced diagnosis is what I seek, so that I can smash my own fingers and swear my own swears.

Gotcha noisy dishwasher here.

It's been going great for four years at least one cycle a day. Love it. Got it for the moderately quiet operation and the simple child lock-out.

Until two weeks ago, it was doing all it needed and smiling while it did it.

Then there was a loud hum (mechanical, not electrical) for the beginning of the normal cycle (the only one we use) which seemed to get quieter as the cycle continued.

Honestly, the washer could have simply maintained the hum, but the activity in the house may have increased its roar.

Now, there is the hum whenever the water is moving. No odd smells, good cleaning on the dirty items, normal cycle length.

Two days into the hum I disassembled down to what I belive is the pump housing -

Popped the lower spinner off, the rigid tube that goes up the back wall, undid the five Torx bolts and removed the cover off the middle structure.

There was one toothpick and a piece of plastic blocking half the drain holes. Miraculously nothing plastic got broken, no fingers were hurt.

The debris came out and it seemed better for a couple of days, now it is quite loud again.

I don't do electronics except to put it back the way it was - metering no, switch off when it is smoking yes.

Please help, what direction should I go?

Junior Yahoo

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Sounds like you needed to go just a bit further and check out the chopper/screen etc - See more on that here: http://fixitnow.com/...-poor-cleaning/

Sometimes the circulation motor seal can start to leak water through the bearing and make the unit noisy - look for the telltale white residue under the motors shaft - see here: http://fixitnow.com/...ore-dishwasher/

If you remove the chopper, cover and screen, you might just find more toothpix/glass etc causing your noise - Ye Olde Craptrap Enema for Dishwashers.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 juniorYahoo

juniorYahoo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

Yo presto, so that is where the chopper resides.

The craptrap is enemated, and the great experiment continues with tonight's dishes.

Thank you so much for your esteemed guidance Grand Master Funk.

This grasshopper sees only roots and stems while the Master enjoys the evolution of the entire garden.

Next up - update.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

Sorry, corrected second link in post above
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 juniorYahoo

juniorYahoo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

OOF
Yes it has been a whole week since the schooling.

Yes, it is still loud. I was hoping for a miraculous (cheap) fix, and got only hope.

Dunno how to find the "telltale white residue under the motors shaft", but am resigned to replacing more pricy parts instead of very pricy entire machine.

Do you suggest the pump and motor both, or is one the most likely culprit?

Behind the kickplate at floor level looks like a motor and lots of hoses. The water inlet is copper (very hot when running), and has a little corrosion around the pressure fitting. No leaks to notice off the motor, but I did not upend the dishwasher and inspect it yet.

What sort of thing could I myself look for as hard evidence against a particular part, or does it need a look-see by a certifeed appliantologist?

Until Again,
Junior Yahoo

#6 juniorYahoo

juniorYahoo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Oh yes, the end is here.

Got a replacement motor from the brew-lovin', motor huggin', tool luggin', fixed yur oven appliance geniuses.

Then I took the whole spankin' thing apart from the bottom - Kickplate removed, Screws uncrewed from the counter, Power switched off and detached,
Water shut off and undone, Drain removed, and then pulled. . .

Re-read the directions, and then lowered the feet down to let the insulation clear the counter and pulled. . .

There we go, the baby on its back with its feet in the air, just like the fantabo picture from the appliantologists.

Absolutely destroyed the copper supply pipe on the way out, so I went out to grab a 72" flexible line for my ease of installation, along with a new "L" for the machine end and a reducer for the valve end.

With just minor help / irritation from the four-year-old, it was back upright, screwed tight, lights lit, fittings fit in about an hour.

Many thanks to the Samurai in charge who made this site possible, kdog, and the other competent minions following the moves of the master.

Count me as a enthousiastic megaphone for your trade. As I come across wistful, wandering waifs, with malfunctioning machines and a hint of mechanical aptitude, wishing to save cash on repairs to spend on brews, here is where I will send them.

Michael

#7 phydeauxe64

phydeauxe64

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:"Double D" Turbo Coffee

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Great Job Michael! Sounds like ya got er whooped. :thumbsup:

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Did you take any pic's of your Great Adventure ??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kitchenaid, dishwasher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics