Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung Dryer DV448AEG -- Not Spinning

not spinning samsung

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 quantass

quantass

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:08 AM

John63, it amazes me how much you know about these things!

I removed the cover and first thing i noticed was how much lint was inside the dryer within this area. Is this normal?

I looked around but did not see any foreign objects which could be obstructing the wheel. It looked good. I even tried spinning the drum and i can see the mechanics moving fine. The belt looked in place.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Perhaps i should reconnect the door plug, reattach the main board case and then START the dryer and watch / listen for the buzz? Though i dont want to start anything until i get the go ahead. :)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

Looking at the photo (with the worklight)---that silver DUCT must be removed to gain access to the BLOWER WHEEL for inspection.

Remove the LINT FILTER & place it inside the drum

Remove the 3 screws which secure the *silver* DUCT

Pull the DUCT down & towards you

Inspect BLOWER WHEEL for sock/fabric softener sheet etc.

Yes---the amount of dust indicates *poor venting*

Usually caused by an excessively long-length vent system (much longer than 8 feet)---but can also be a shorter length vent with *too many* 90 degree turns----or a normal-length vent system that is blocked/restricted somewhere between the vent behind the dryer and the outside vent hood of the home/house.

Many customers/owners will say that---yes---when the dryer *was* working---it took a long time to dry clothing.
With heavier fabrics (denims/towels)---the cycle would end and clothing would still be damp-to-somewhat-wet(poor venting).

Great pictures :)

Edited by john63, 15 December 2011 - 12:36 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#23 quantass

quantass

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Looking at the photo (with the worklight)---that silver DUCT must be removed to gain access to the BLOWER WHEEL for inspection.

Inspect BLOWER WHEEL for sock/fabric softener sheet etc.

John63, you got it dead on....

Posted Image

Amazing. I pulled out a tightly wedged sock and ring, and voila the drum was able to move more freely. I havent yet put everything back together so that I can clean out all this lint.

Yes our duct has 2 90' turns before it enters the wall and then there is another 90' turn upward from basement toward ground level. So to be clear the sock and ring entered this fin blowing area thru the lint filter (perhaps the filter wasnt in place?). And the excess lint is due to some material bypassing the filter and entering the duct and because of the many 90' turns it builds up and then backs up?

Any recommendations to reduce the lint debris? Our dryer is prompted up on a Samsung drawer and so standars about a foot or so off the ground. The duct we use is the hard aluminum kind and it must first take a 90' turn toward the ground and then another turn right to go towards the wall. The wall duct appears to travel 4 feet right and then 90' turn upward to groundlevel to exit the home.

Thanks so much John for your BRILLIANT assistance. There is no way i would have figured this stuff out!!

#24 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

Good job :)

<<<The wall duct appears to travel 4 feet right and then 90' turn upward to groundlevel to exit the home.>>>

That is actually an ideal length---even with three 90 degree turns.
The heavier-than-usual lint/dust accumulation is then---likely from more-than-average use of the dryer.
A typical family of four does 8 to 10 loads of laundry per week----a little over 416 loads per year.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#25 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

John63, you got it dead on....

Thanks so much John for your BRILLIANT assistance.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#26 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

Great topic! For others coming along later and reading this, get parts for your Samsung dryer ratcheer ==> http://www.repaircli...ung-Dryer-Parts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: not spinning, samsung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics