Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Burning smell from a Whirlpool GSW9800PW2 washer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jjrree1

jjrree1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Water with Lime

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

The washer is 4.5 years old, never had a problem with it. It is working but just today, I noticed a bad smell (burning type smell) while it was running a load. Could not feel any heat or anything on the back panel. I did 2 more loads and it went ok, (spin, agitate, etc...). but the smell returned during each load. Where do I start checking to figure out the problem?

Please help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

remove the cabinet and get a visual on it, try and narrow down what The Rock is cookin' - could be the motor
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,560 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

and to possibly prevent future problems, make sure your loads do not exceed the recommended capacity and never wash comforters in it.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 jjrree1

jjrree1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

I pulled the washer apart and checked, the motor, it was very clean and there was no smell lingering from it. I went to the back side and was able to smell a faint odor from the transmission area. There was no discoloration from heat that I could see on the transmission or clutch or motor, or any metal parts. This was 1 drop of oil under the transmission. I also checked the drain hoses to verify all are clear. I did pop off the pump & it spins free, but it does spin what seems to be tight.

Any other suggestions on what check next?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

You may be smelling hot motor. Can measure the current draw on the motor and compare with the name plate rating. Can also run the washer with the cabinet removed and lid switch jumpered out (for testing purposes only) while tracking down the source of the smell starting at the motor. Or, just run it 'till it dies and then replace the motor ==> Motor

#6 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

This machine operates in these four individual steps......Fill...Agitate...Drain... Spin......Does it operate in those steps??? Your machine could have " aggressive spin"......It is missing the ' drain pause spin ' step.......... I.E. it is draining AND spinning at the same time.... you mentioned oil, was it on the floor??? Is it near the top of the gearbox?? Oil near the clutch ??? You could just be smelling a bit of oil on the clutch and it 'burns ' off as the spin basket gets up to full spin R.P.M. ............... P.S. smells like hot oil?? rubber ??? electrical ??? teen spirit ???

#7 jjrree1

jjrree1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

I will attempt to remove the cabinet and jump the lid switch.

as for the oil I mentioned - it is probably 2 drop that are on the floor, there is a little bit of oil on the bottom of the transmission (it is not a large amount but it seems to be coming from the split in the transmission case. The clutch area is totally dry of oil

the smell is more of a mix between clutch and electrical. it is not rubber smell, not any kind of rubber I have smelled. I dont claim to have a super smeller nose, so I could definitely be wrong.

what is the easiest way to by pass the lid switch?

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

You will need to make a 'jumper'..
Posted Image
The first three are ones I use, the fourth one is used by someone that should NOT be any where near electrical work................... DO NOT be that person, use an insulated 'jumper'....... Okey Dokey ....

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 17 December 2011 - 01:28 PM.
added "return" before and after pictures

#9 jjrree1

jjrree1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Ok, I made the jumper and ran 6 loads through the washer. Obviously I did that many loads because nothing unusual was happening. I sat through the 1st 2, and all went well, I did get a hint of the burning smell during the agitate cycle rite at the beginning, but after that nothing. Pretty much watched it most of the day. I was overloading the washer before and I did not do that again. I am thinking I heated up the clutch. I even hooked up a ohm meter using a patch cord of sorts and watched that, ohm never got over 10, most of the time stayed at 7 for all cycles.

Any other suggestions on things to check, or should I consider myself lucky and move on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics