Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

olddaddy

Jenn Air JDR 8895 burner problems

3 posts in this topic

The right front burner on our gas top has been difficult to light and would not always burn properly or blow out altogether. I contacted the benevolent Samurai Appliance Rapairman who indicated a likely need to replace the gas control valve for this burner. I humbly followed his direction, but sadly the issue is now worse, not better. After replacing the burner valve the burner will not light unless you fan lightly in it's direction which will cause the burner to light. However, it immmediately blows out. All other burners operate normally. What should I do next?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

For the benefit of others who weren't part of the original email conversation, here's your original email to me:

Our Jenn Aire JDR 8895 gas range has a burner that is hard to light. While lit it does not adjust up or down for high to low burning. And blows out almost immediately when lit. Looking at a parts diagram the burner seems to be simply a disc, no moving parts. Do I need a new valve? Some other part? Can you enlighten me Master?
(emphasis added)

The lack of flame adjustment was the telling point in your original email. Has this changed?

Also possible you have a gunked up sealed burner head. The typical failure scenario for the problem you're describing is that something gooey boiled over on the stove (cranberry sauce, fudge, etc.) and crapped up the burner head and, at the same time, some of it leaked into the burner valve behind the knob as the mess made it's way to the floor.

So, tell us the cooking war story that took out your sealed burner head and burner valve. :whistling:

Haven't look up how this one is setup, but if sealed burners it could be something as simple as a slightly plugged orifice. I see this a lot on all the sealed burner units that have a orifice directly vertical under the burner. The impurities in the gas gradually build up in the opening of the orifice making it much smaller then it should be. This results in too little gas coming out to ignite properly and also since the flame is so small to start with from the reduced gas volume no adjustment either because turning it down just decreases volume more and goes out since it's already at what a low flame would be.