Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool SF367LEHW5 Range intermittent spark problem

w10331686 spark module

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 keenyoung

keenyoung

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam's Pale

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:00 AM

I have a Whirlpool (Kenmore) SF367LEHW5 High capacity 465 oven/range. About 12 years old.

10 years ago (5 am thanksgiving day!) oven would not fire up. Clicks and indicator lights as usual, but no glow at oven or broiler ignitors. Range ignitors working fine. I unplugged it and pulled the back off it to look for wiring problems, burnt connectors, chafing, and incoming power at board. I couldn't find anything unusual. I put it back together, plugged it in, and the oven fired right up.

It worked fine for 2 more years, then suddenly no fire. Same symptoms, same inspection, same good fire after closing it up.

3 more years working, and then the same ritual. I finally decide the chip in it must be getting confused, and it is unplugging it that is resetting the chip.

It then worked fine till today. But this time the range ignitors wouldn't fire. Unplugging for an hour also didn't work. So I bit the bullet and found the service manual online. I got my meter out and per the manual I started by testing the input voltage at the spark module with the oven in bake mode. It was 117 V, so OK. I then tested the output voltage, which according to the manual should be 8-18 V DC. There was zero volts. According to the manual, this means the spark module is bad. I spent time online looking for a new board (W10331686). $85 locally, so I thought I'd buy one tomorrow.

Three hours later, for kicks, I tried turning on a burner, and surprise, it fired up. The oven and broiler are also working.

WTF? Any thoughts? I looked for obvious cold solder joints and wiring problems on the spark board, but nothing.

Thanks,
Keen

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

... no glow at oven or broiler ignitors.

...Spark Ignitors on that model don't "glow"
It may be an intermittent Spark Module
OR
one loose connection on the Gas Valve will also prevent both Bake and Broil

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 keenyoung

keenyoung

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

I checked the connections at the gas valve and they look good and tight. I don't know how to test for the intermittent spark module.

My current theory is the ground screw on the module must be corroding over several years, and when I fiddle with the wiring and the module, the screw regains contact with the chassis. However, the oven is now working perfectly again, so I can't test anything.

I don't understand why it takes more than an hour after I put the stove back together for it to start working again. Might this have something to do with the safety lockout after trying to fire 3 times?

Thanks again,
Keen

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

also, does the Wall Outlet have the proper polarity ?
N L
.....G

#5 keenyoung

keenyoung

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

also, does the Wall Outlet have the proper polarity ?
N L
.....G

Yes it has proper polarity. And the oven is still working. If history is any indication it should fail in about two years. ;-)

Keen

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

... My current theory is the ground screw on the module must be corroding

could be ..
clean the connection ...

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Could also be a comprimised area in the wire that feeds the ignitor from the control, it is a HV circuit and if the wire is pinched, or the insulation of the wire broken (such as where it is clipped to the frame by retainer) - the spark circuit can ground out before it reaches the ignitor. The unit will go into lockout after a few attempts to light - this happened to me the first time I serviced one of this design - around the turn of the millenium; drove me crazy for awhile as it was intermittent.

#8 keenyoung

keenyoung

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Followup: The oven recently got a lot worse. FaiIs constantly. So I finally gave up and paid the $75 deductable on our appliance service contract.

The tech came out and spent about 1.5 hours running tests. He determined that the spark module was bad. I told him about my earlier testing, but he was sure. So I waited a week for Sears to ship the part, and the tech came back. After he replaced the module, the burners worked, and the broil cycle worked, but the oven still would not fire in bake mode.

So the tech crawled back under it, and pulled out the lower oven burner. Turns out the spot welds that hold the ignitor to the burner had failed. So I wait another week while Sears ships a new burner/ignitor. The tech installed it, and for the last three weeks everything seems to be working fine.

So, what to make of this? The only thing I can figure is that the spark module has had an intermitent fault for all of these years, and the recent more frequent failures are a result of the failed spot welds on the ignitor. Go figure.

Many thanks to those who responded.

Keen Young

#9 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I would have looked for broken spot welds Thanksgiving Day 10 years ago.
But,thats' just me. :whistling:

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Link to Burner ass'y (which are known troublemakers):

Spark-Electrode-and-Burner-8190618-00886

http://www.repaircli...8190618/1027497

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics