Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Front Load Won't Spin 417.40042990

No spin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rogdog1

Rogdog1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Summit Pale Ale

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hello Guru,

I have a Kenmore Front Load washer, model number 417.40042990. Speed control board 131770700.
The drum will no longer spin. I have gone through all of the technician trouble shooting and all systems pass.
I can manually forward the machine through a cycle, it fills and drains correctly, just won't spin in any cycle. Reading blogs it seems like the speed board is the most likely culprit, but it passes voltage, resistance, and fuse test. Is there anything else that it could be other than the speed board?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

won't Tumble nor Spin ?
http://fixitnow.com/...loading-washer/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Rogdog1

Rogdog1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

Drum/motor does not move at all, tumble or spin. Thanks for the new diagram, I am not sure if I tested pins 5 to 1&9. I will try tonight.
I did inspect the speed control board thoroughly and did not see any damaged or heat affected components, of course one of the IC's could have fried on the inside.
Anything else I should try tonight?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

Rogdog, if I may ask, what browser type and version were you using when you made your last post? And was it the same as for your opening post?

Reason I ask is that we're randomly seeing the occasional post in the x2 superscript or x2 subscript. For example, your last post is shown written in x2 superscript. So we're trying to track down this bug, whether it's in this forum software or with just a particular type of browser (brand and version).

Domo for your help! :samurai:

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 15 December 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#5 Rogdog1

Rogdog1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

IE8, version 8.0.6001.18702CO update version 0
Same system as original post.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

The two most common no-spin makers on this machine are the motor control board and the door latch. The troubleshooting procedure can be tricky to follow, but if you're not getting an error code, chances are pretty good that the problem is the motor control board ==> http://www.repaircli...er=417.40042990

But the good news is that you're not really taking a chance at all! If, by some freak of nature, the motor control board doesn't fix the problem, return it for a refund!

#7 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

This might sound dumb but check the belt first .. They rarely break but I always check that first... If it does everything but motor doesnt move more then likely motor control

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

Check the wire harness from the speed control board to the motor...the last wire restraint mounted to the floor near the motor is known to pull the terminal loose and/or pull a wire out of a terminal at the motor.......

#9 Rogdog1

Rogdog1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

Appliance Guru!

Thanks for the rapid advice and additional trouble shooting diagram.
With Repair Clinics wonderful return policy on electronics, I purchased the speed control board with conficence.
Five minutes after arrival, it was in the washer and the washer ran like a champ.
Thank you for everything, you run a great service here!

Rogdog1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics