Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Removing/replacing control unit Thermador RDF30

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CRZ

CRZ

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anchor!

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

Removing control unit or display on Thermador RDF30...instructions say to remove the maintop; this is a pain and NOT necessary.
1. Remove the 4 screws under the top front panel and slide the front outer panel assembly (trim panels with end caps) down and toward the front to remove (there's a pressure spring (hold down clip) which makes this difficult);
2. Carefully rotate the glass panel up and away over the buttons, taking care not to break panel or buttons;
3. Remove screws from metal control mounting plate/panel;
4. This is the hard part: pull/rotate/cajole metal panel out from under the maintop. It's a tight fit between the burner valve stems and the maintop -- I used a nylon blade putty knife between the maintop and the panel to coax it out. After that it's easy: mark your connections and remove display.

TO MAKE THE REINSTALL EASIER (POSSIBLE) I used aviator snips to enlarge the holes for the burner stems in the metal control plate/panel (made them "taller"), and bent the top panel ("control cover") up a bit so it won't hang on the spark switch connections on the burner valves. Poor design IMO. But this method beats breaking your venturis by trying to take off the maintop.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Nice write up...hate those damn seized venturi nuts...talk about a poor design.
Who'd of thunk two dissimilar metals would have tendancy to weld under high heat??

I have nice step drill bit that makes short work of those pesky rascals...nice pile of brass shavings...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 CRZ

CRZ

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anchor!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

PS: best price I found for rebuilding this control unit, P/N 486752, was from Corecentric out of surburban Chicago -- currently about $129 plus $11 shipping...they do tons of others too...

http://www.corecentr...ancepartsrepair

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

CoreCentric is a great re-builder, I've used them many times.

They also have a lot of their rebuilt boards on E-Bay with free shipping and you don't even have to send your old board in.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

CRZ, for taking the time to prepare such a nice writeup and post it here to share with your fellow travelers, you have earned a promotion to Merit Apprentice Appliantologist together with all the rights and privileges thereof. Kanpai! :samurai:

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Tips for removing and replacing the electronic control unit in a Thermador RDF30 Range

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 17 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

Removing control unit or display on Thermador RDF30...instructions say to remove the maintop; this is a pain and NOT necessary.
1. Remove the 4 screws under the top front panel and slide the front outer panel assembly (trim panels with...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics