Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crosstalk

Kenmore 253.68889014 too warm in cold garage

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I noticed this morning that my garage refrigerator/freezer is too warm. The freezer was 20F and the refrigerator was 50F. I moved the temp. control a bit more toward "colder." It's colder in the garage these days (air temp probably 35-40F), but is it normal to have to adjust the control when the air temp changes?

When I moved the control to colder, the compressor started and cold air was blowing from the evaporator in the freezer and making it's way down the duct to the refrigerator, so I assume the sealed system is ok. I will recheck the temps tomorrow but it doesn't seem right to me that I would have to make the internal temp "colder" if it's colder outside.

Thanks,

Rich

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Outside temps can affect fridges in many ways. The outside cold air is influencing the thermostat located in your fresh food section. When outside temp drops below 55 degrees, the compressor will be off for longer than usual awaiting temps in the fridge to rise. there is a garage kit that can help you....it should work for your frigidaire made kenmore http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Heating-Element/5303918301/1037646

Thanks for your help. I ordered the part.

Thanks for the good advice on this. I installed the cold kit and it's working well. I am wondering how much inefficiency I am getting by having a heating element in the control box, but that is better than heating the whole garage.

Depending how cold it gets in your garage, the Compressor may not appreciate being summoned into action whilst attempting to keep warm along with the oil that is now the consistency of Corn Syrup.

Depending how cold it gets in your garage, the Compressor may not appreciate being summoned into action whilst attempting to keep warm along with the oil that is now the consistency of Corn Syrup.

"This kit is designed for Frigidaire top freezer refrigerators placed in garages or basements where the temperature drops as low as 34 degrees Fahrenheit."

Note that this kit is not designed for below freezing! If I remember correctly, installing the kit voids the warranty - even though it is a factory part...

Edited by Chat_in_RI

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0