Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 253.68889014 too warm in cold garage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crosstalk

crosstalk

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

Hello. I noticed this morning that my garage refrigerator/freezer is too warm. The freezer was 20F and the refrigerator was 50F. I moved the temp. control a bit more toward "colder." It's colder in the garage these days (air temp probably 35-40F), but is it normal to have to adjust the control when the air temp changes?

When I moved the control to colder, the compressor started and cold air was blowing from the evaporator in the freezer and making it's way down the duct to the refrigerator, so I assume the sealed system is ok. I will recheck the temps tomorrow but it doesn't seem right to me that I would have to make the internal temp "colder" if it's colder outside.

Thanks,
Rich

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,866 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Outside temps can affect fridges in many ways. The outside cold air is influencing the thermostat located in your fresh food section. When outside temp drops below 55 degrees, the compressor will be off for longer than usual awaiting temps in the fridge to rise. there is a garage kit that can help you....it should work for your frigidaire made kenmore http://www.repaircli...3918301/1037646

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 crosstalk

crosstalk

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for your help. I ordered the part.

#4 crosstalk

crosstalk

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the good advice on this. I installed the cold kit and it's working well. I am wondering how much inefficiency I am getting by having a heating element in the control box, but that is better than heating the whole garage.

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

Depending how cold it gets in your garage, the Compressor may not appreciate being summoned into action whilst attempting to keep warm along with the oil that is now the consistency of Corn Syrup.

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#6 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:07 AM

Depending how cold it gets in your garage, the Compressor may not appreciate being summoned into action whilst attempting to keep warm along with the oil that is now the consistency of Corn Syrup.

"This kit is designed for Frigidaire top freezer refrigerators placed in garages or basements where the temperature drops as low as 34 degrees Fahrenheit."
Note that this kit is not designed for below freezing! If I remember correctly, installing the kit voids the warranty - even though it is a factory part...

Edited by Chat_in_RI, 31 December 2011 - 11:07 AM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Why does a refrigerator in a cold garage have trouble keeping the beer cold?

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 20 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

Brother DurhamAppiance delivers today's sermon and illumines us. Let's listen...

Outside temps can affect fridges in many ways. The outside cold air is influencing the thermostat located in your fresh food section....

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics