Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Timer hangs up midway Bosch Dishwasher shu4002uc/u06

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

Of course it's behaved for the last 3 washes before I got here. Before that the timer would stop at 6:00 and it would continue to run for hours.

Input water was only 104°F, but when I was here it drew 11Amps and heated up no problem. It's a hand crank timer, so I don't know if there is a solder joint in a circuit board to look at.

Intermittent problems are hard to diagnose, so I could use some help.

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Hmmm. Bosch dishwasher service manual doesn't seem to have a wiring diagram for this one.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Hmmm. Bosch dishwasher service manual doesn't seem to have a wiring diagram for this one.

SHU 40
pages 111, 112, 113
(PDF pages 113, 114, 115)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

The temp sensor on top of the dispenser was loose. When I disconnected that I got it to hang up, but that doesn't mean that was the original problem.

Reg_US, was that supposed to be a clickable link?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

SHU 40
pages 111, 112, 113
(PDF pages 113, 114, 115)

The temp sensor on top of the dispenser was loose. When I disconnected that I got it to hang up, but that doesn't mean that was the original problem.

Reg_US, was that supposed to be a clickable link?

No, he referencing the pages in the manual that you indicated you already have.

#6 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

If that's the 119 page Bosch Dishwasher Service Manual or the 144 page Training Manual, it doesn't seem to be the one for a 4002. The complete guide had something similar, but still some wire colors were incorrect.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if I can't get it to reproduce the problem.

Could a low household water temperature of 104°F be bad enough to make it hang indefinitely? Couldn't it heat even cold water up to temp eventually, making it run for an extra hour, but not an extra 12, like it reportedly has been doing?

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

that would be ... of the 144 page manual
OK try these:

Bosch dw SH1 Repair.pdf 5 MB
bosch_shu.pdf 10 MB
bosch-wiring-diagrams.pdf 11 MB
links PM'd

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

Cleaned the gunk off the sensor over the dispenser. Mucked around a good deal, but nothing definitive. I hadn't charged, since I wasn't sure I'd fixed anything. After weeks of performing correctly, I accepted payment on the homeowner's insistence.

#9 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Drat!

Now I've got two of these doing this. Both are intermittent problems, so it's hard to test. On both the timers hang up in the wash cycle and won't let it finish. Likely heater circuit. There's no control board, it has a timer:

Posted Image

So I'm sure that it isn't the usual unsoldered heater relay.

So if I can't get it to do it while I am there, what can I do? Replace something and hope for the best?

Now it could be the selector switch
Posted Image

but there is nothing visually wrong with that.

On one of them I tested the regulator
Posted Image

but that seemed okay.

The only thing left is the PTC/Hi limit

Posted Image

that could be intermittent.

The element itself couldn't be intermittent, I don't think. Wiring harness could be, but not the most likely.

What have you seen go on these that I should be considering? With two Bosch dishwashers on good old-fashioned timers doing the same thing, I'm sure it's something that happens all the time.

Thanks for all your help.
Tim

#10 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

The wiring harness goes underneath inside a black plastic sheath.
I had one of these recently with a similar problem.
A large white wire inside the sheath was nearly broken.
I cut the wire and put it back together with a buut splice.
It has worked fine since.
After opening the wire sheath I felt the wires and felt abnormal heat from the wires.
Touching and feeling resulted in a wire feeling bulged.
That was my bad wire.
Open the sheath on the front lower left where the wires go underneath and check each wire while running.
Feel for a deformed or warm wire.

#11 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

At least one of them has the newer, plastic hinge for the wires to run through. I opened it up and didn't find anything at that time, though so far it is the only thing I have to try on the next visit.

Tim

#12 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Yamabushi

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

You ever get this one figured out?

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

#13 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

You ever get this one figured out?

No, and I've looked all over the web, and no one else seems to have a clue either.  Found a few posts on it elsewhere, but none with any answers.

#14 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hmmm ladies and gents,

.   New ideas.  I was working on a washing machine recently with a sticky timer/welded contact, that I might have misdiagnosed as something else were it not for the help of these forums.  This morning I was doing my own laundry, and my Staber, which I love, hung up at the usual point where it very occasionally (read intermittent problem) does.  After ruling out the lid lock switch, I've surmised it is most likely the timer, but is so infrequent I haven't done anything about it yet.

.   While I was thinking about my Staber, I thought about the other washer, and was thinking about starting a general discussion in these forums on timers and why and how they misbehave.  Then these two Bosch Dishwashers came to mind.  I'm not sure they are both stopping at the same point, though they both have the same result of running too long.  I'm beginning to wonder if it could be the timer itself getting stuck at some point because of a welded contact or otherwise.

.    Given how infrequently they both do it, it would be hard to test.  If I replace the part, it would be quite some time before I knew if it was successful. Given that parts bought through this forum can be returned even after they have been installed installed, up to a year later, I'm beginning to wonder about trying it out.

Edited by Tim M, 17 February 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#15 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hey space fans,

.    The return of the Bosch Dishwasher with the intermittent hang up, about 2/3 of the way through the cycle if I remember correctly.  Crank timer just hangs there and refuses to advance.  Now 2 years ago it would happen just once in awhile.  That made it hard to diagnose.

.    Now I just got a call from him again saying it hadn't happened again for the past two years.  Now it is happening around 80% of the time.  The guy doesn't dare leave his house with the dishwasher running.

.    Anyone have any new ideas.  Please read or skim this entire post before replying if you are able.  Thanks.

#16 stewartservice

stewartservice

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yuengling

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:36 AM

Attached File  doc_display_pdfshu heater.pdf   41.63KB   5 downloads  Flow switch ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics