Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid Dishwasher Chopper Delete?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

I have a Kitchenaid KUDP01FLSS6 dishwasher that twice a year I have to clean the crud (mainly seeds) from the chopper screen due to the dishwasher not cleaning the dishes properly. Once the chopper assembly is cleaned the dishwasher works great.

My question is can I remove the screen from the chopper assembly since the dishwasher is piped to my sink disposal? I see no advantage to chop the food up to run thru the sink disposal and by not having the chopper screen from getting clogged the dishwasher will keep the dishes cleaner longer.

My concern with removing the screen is that the motor impeller or discharge hose may plug up due to the larger crud being passed.

Any thoughts?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

Solution - place debris in garbage can prior to loadong dishwasher - dishes in; seeds/debris out
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Solution - place debris in garbage can prior to loadong dishwasher - dishes in; seeds/debris out

It would be easier to sell off my kids & wife.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

… and remember, no matter what the salesman says,
it’s a dishwasher, not a garbage disposal.
:whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

… and remember, no matter what the salesman says,
it’s a dishwasher, not a garbage disposal.
:whistling:

My oldest son who is a Plumber tells me that the garbage belongs in the trash can not the sink.

#6 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

twice a year I have to clean the crud (mainly seeds) from the chopper screen due to the dishwasher not cleaning the dishes properly. Once the chopper assembly is cleaned the dishwasher works great.

Any thoughts?

Replace the chopper, most likey the blade is not spinning and the mesh is clogging as a result. When you turn the chopper blade by hand, it should turn the pump if it is engaged properly.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#7 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

Replace the chopper, most likey the blade is not spinning and the mesh is clogging as a result. When you turn the chopper blade by hand, it should turn the pump if it is engaged properly.

I believe that the chopper is working fine, it's just not capable of chopping seeds or broken glass. Once I clear the debris it wasn't designed to chop it works fine. My original question is if I remove the screen will I cause other problems?

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Of course, the circulation pump is not designed to circulate Glass and Seeds either
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#9 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

It is just that the chopper screen will not clog if the blade is spinning...
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#10 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

Of course, the circulation pump is not designed to circulate Glass and Seeds either

Thanks, I will leave the chopper assembly intact. I will need to instruct my family to manually wash the juice extractor or to empty it of all seeds before tossing it into the dishwasher.

It is just that the chopper screen will not clog if the blade is spinning...

Is there a maintenance mode I can put my dishwasher in to verify if the blade is spinning while I have the cover off?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics