Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Jeff

Whirlpool Duet washer

6 posts in this topic

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer  (GHW 9100 KW1)  that is about 1 year old.  It seems to be working fine except for an annoying scraping noise when you turn the drum.  It sounds like a coin or something metallic some how got behind the drum and is rubbing against it as it turns.  I'm not even sure if that is possible.  Can somone tell me where i need to look to locate and remove  the offending object?  Thanks for any help that can be provided.......Jeff

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I've never had to access the tub area of one of these yet, so don't know if it's the same as other other front loaders.

The first thing is to remove any one of the three fins in the tub and see if there is an access hole under the fin. If there is, than you maybe able to determine or find the source of your noise without tearing the complete machine apart.

Thanks for the reply, but I looked at the fins and can't see a way to remove them short of damaging them.  Do you know how to remove them?

If I were on the service call, I'd remove the back panel and try to locate the source of the noise visually.

Had a repair man out last week for the same thing.  He said there's change stuck behind my wash tub.  I asked about getting it out.  He said it was a two man process to take the casing apart and would cost $150.  I asked if it would hurt the machine. He said No and that it may just  work it's way out and go down the drain.  I live with the clunk till I can find a cheaper way.

I'd check for a bra underwire through one of the tub holes, this will certainly cause the issue. I'm not sure on the exact procedure, but as Willie says, you may be able to remove one of the fins inside the tub. If you do, be VERY careful when poking around, these tend to have razor-sharp edges.