Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

maytag washer MAV8551AWW will not spin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boten607

boten607

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

we have a maytag atlantis washing machine that will not drain.

I checked the center pulley and it turns in both directions, but only turns the agitator.

when in spin mode with top lifted (lid down) the tub turns, but not super easy like a roulette wheel or bike tire, more like the feeling of a motor's resistance when it is off.

I don't like to throw money at things until I can understand what is really wrong, but I am confused on this one. at first I was ready to buy a brake washer assembly, but after more reading and seeing that pulley turn freely both directions, I am concerned it is the tranny.

I appreciate any assistance or advice. thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

If full of water and wont drain tub wont spin very fast at all... I believe sock it stuck on the hose from the tub to the tub.....Feel that hose if there is something in there you will feel it.. Depending on how much water is tub you can lean it against the wall where the water level is lower then the tubs hose remove the hose and check if there is anything... Make a video of it and post on youtube so that we can see that is the easiest way for us to diagnose most problems..

#3 boten607

boten607

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

sorry, it drains just fine. I only have a digitial SLR so no video ability. it seems like it will "sort of" spin from the agitator turning the clothes inside the tub... but I'm pretty sure it is only the agitator actually turning from the motor...

#4 boten607

boten607

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

it is making an irregular "knocking sound" now, and not just in spin cycle... tranny?

thanks again.

#5 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Could be belt when transmission goes it wont agitate and makes clucking noise in agitate ... If it doesnt spin then may something in the tub top causing not to spin or the trust bearing going bad

#6 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Get a flash light, and check the bearing on the pump pulley, they commonly are a weak point in this washer design. Also remove the front panel and check for something stuck in the pump. The pump is number 4 in the diagram below, it should be the pulley on the right front of the machine base. You can check the bearing from underneath the unit.Posted Imagehttp://www.repaircli...mber=MAV8551AWW

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics