Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire FRS23H5ASB8 has Intermittent Compressor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 T Thump

T Thump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Molson Canadien

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

I have a Frigidaire side by side that is just under 7 years old. For the past 8 months or so it will run fine for a couple weeks and then it gets warm on both sides. Turn it off for 8-12 hours and it starts working and will run again for another couple of weeks.

When the box is warm the evaporator and condensor fans are running and the compressor does the hum and click thing trying to start. A few weeks ago I replaced the start relay and the capacitor but the problem came back after a little over a week. The condenser fan and coils are clean. When the compressor is running, both sides stay at proper temperature until the next time the compressor stalls.

This morning the box was warm again(it's been 10 days since the last time). I turned off the refrigerator and about 5 hours later started it back up and it's working fine again. I am watching the evaporator coils in the freezer section, and they seem to be icing up with a thin film of frost over the entire evaporator. Earlier this evening I was able to feel the evaporator defrost heater getting warm when the unit was working properly and cooling.

As near as I can tell everything is working now until the next intermittent problem. What can I look at in the meantime, and what should I check the next time the problem comes back. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

I can pretty much guarantee you that the compressor is failing, bearings seizing up when the get warmed up.

I've seen the exact same problem/complaint on a SxS Frigidaire of a very similar model and vintage, (yours appears to be around a 2003 from the dates in the parts breakdown pictures).

Frigidaire's have a very bad track record on sealed system/compressor problems. I not surprised at all when I see a Frigidaire that is only a little over 6-7 years old failing because it's out of freon or the compressor is having problems, (mostly low on freon - I haven't had that many with actual failing compressors as you're experiencing).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

When this happens is the compressor hot to touch?
Is the condenser fan running full speed?
Is the dust cover in place at the compressor cavity?

#4 T Thump

T Thump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

When the problem occurs the condenser fan is running at normal speed, the compressor is approximately 125-130 degrees(hot to the touch, but not too hot to leave my hand there comfortably). The dust cover is loosely in place. Problem occurs whether or not it is screwed down.

Update: The compressor is running this morning, the temperature in the beer side is 30 degrees, and there is a light film of ice on the the entire evaporator. All appears to be well for now, but I expect the compressor to do the hum click thing in a week or so.

The compressor is a Tecumseh that's made in Brazil. How much crappier can that get? Maybe if they had some goat lover build it in Turdistan? I used to sell industrial refrigeration systems and back then I had a lot of customers who refused to buy anything with a Tecumseh in it. I can't believe Tecumseh is still in the business. I noticed that one source for replacements sells Panasonic. Are those any good? I have been away for a while and didn't have a lot of experience with hermetics anyway.

#5 T Thump

T Thump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

Refrigerator was new in April of 2005. I have been doing some research on the web, and yes, it appears that Frigidaire has a compressor problem with their products going back to around 2000.

#6 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Your problem may be a defective ADC(defrost control board).
Intermittent problems are the reason I have no hair.

#7 T Thump

T Thump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

The ADC has crossed my mind since replacing the starter and getting no joy. I can't seem to find any information on what it's supposed to be doing when it works right. It's the reason I am keeping a close watch on the frost buildup on the evaporator.

Someplace I think I saw reference to the idea that liquid refrigerant may be getting back to the compressor because the ADC isn't working right. Wish I could find it and post a link. Seemed like it was a source of a lot of problems if not in Frigidaire, but in some other makes as well.

#8 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

The defrost control serves 2 main functions.
1.send power to the compressor.
2. send power to the defrost system.
After defrost the adc times out to send power back to the compressor.
They can act intermittently due to a defective board or loose or corroded wire terminals.
The cold control can also be intermittent in operation.
Your compressor runs days at a time with no issue.
My focus would be on the 2 parts discussed above.

#9 T Thump

T Thump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

The name implies that it "adapts" to something. Any idea what it is "adapting" to? I suppose it could cause problems if it doesn't "adapt" correctly.

Side observation, not necessarily related to the ADC, one of the recent compressor lock ups occured at the same time we had a 3 hour power failure during a windstorm.

I think I need to do some focused research on this ADC module.

#10 T Thump

T Thump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

Jumptrout, regarding your hair, I was a field tech and did industrial machinery repair a long time ago. In all my years I never saw an intermittent occur when i was within 50 feet of a control cabinet with a multimeter in my hand.

...but just walk to a break room and pick up a cup of coffee...

#11 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

its adapting to the moisture, humidity, number of times the doors opened, and the compressor run times, But thats just me pulling something outta thin air.

If the ADC is intermittent, the check for heavy frost on the evap, when the failure occurs, also check to make sure you've got power to the compressor, when its doing the buzzing bit. I would also do and amp draw on the compressor when it's doing the buzzing thing, if it's close to the LRA number, its proably bad. The little blue indian is no ones friend.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

Part link ==> ADC board and kit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics