Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 90 Series Washer M/N 110.22922100 won't spin without 'help'

kenmore washer 110.22922100 spin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wvhcrash

wvhcrash

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

My Kemore 90 Series washer will do everything but spin, and when it does it doesn't spin as hard as it used to. I can activate the lid switch and manually start the spinning and it will go. Sometimes if I run it through the spin cycle again, it will go on its own that time. I have reduced the size of the loads, thinking that may be the problem, but it hasn't helped.

Any help on pinpointing the offending part(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Sounds like the clutch is warn out and it is slipping more then it should... Its not a hard just you have to drop the transmission out of the bottom the clutch is on top of it... Me its a 20 minute job but I have done hundreds of them...

#3 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

while you're in there check the top seal of the transmission, as thats a common leak point, and a great way to get oil in the clutch. Oil in the clutch is bad.Posted Imagepart number 5 is the clutch. http://www.repaircli...er=110.22922100

Edited by Comstock_Services, 27 December 2011 - 06:00 PM.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#4 wvhcrash

wvhcrash

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

Should the transmission just be replaced along with the clutch or only if there is a leak found?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

Clutch is a strong suspect but the drive block can cause this, too. Here's an excerpt from my seminal tome on diagnosing spin and agitate problems in these machines (which includes information on checking/replacing the drive block):

The Hand Test for the Clutch

If no hammering sound has ever been heard out of this machine, one of the unofficial tests we professional appliantologists will do in the field is called the Hand Test.

WARNING: This test is not sanctioned by Whirlpool Corporation; it involves bypassing safety equipment and then putting your hand on and near rotating machinery which could result in injury, dismemberment, disfigurement, disembowelment, mangling, hideous screaming, and a bloody death. Proceed at your own risk! Have a nice day.

- put the timer on a spin cycle and open the lid
- grab the inner basket with maybe 30% to 40% of your hand strength with your left hand
- turn on the machine and bypass the lid switch by depressing the lid switch with a key until the machine begins to spin
- if the clutch is engaging properly, the basket should immediately begin to spin and slip through your hand
- if it takes very little force to stop the tub from spinning, the clutch needs to be replaced.

The Clutch Eyeball Test

The Eyeball Test is less risky than the Hand Test but requires lots more time and mechanical fiddling. It’s not as comprehensive as the Hand Test because it only checks for one particular defect with the clutch. But it’s included here for your edification.

Use a pair of pliers to compress the spring of the clutch ring and remove it from the drum. Inspect the rivet holes that hold the pads to the ring. If these holes are packed with debris, then change the clutch. When a clutch is slipping, as well as any other frictional surface, it will develop a glazed look to it which will reflect light and look glossy, just like a lawnmower belt or washer drive belt that has been slipping. This can cause for a burnt rubber or plastic smell.

You don’t need to remove the outer tub to inspect the clutch drum and ring; all you need to do is remove just the gear case. This saves lots of time and headache and keeps the water seals intact and undisturbed.

Part link ==> clutch kit

#6 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for that link Boss, learn something new everyday. :woot:

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics