Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune MDG3000AWW Gas Dryer - intermittent ignition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 calon

calon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:47 AM

Hi,

I have a Maytag Neptune Gas Dryer, model MDG3000AWW.

Here's the problem - the heat is intermittent. I pulled the vent off, getting strong airflow, sometimes hot, sometimes not.

I pulled the front panel, and watched the ignition process.

The ignitor glows, sometimes the gas ignites, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when it lights, it stays on for a while, sometimes just a few seconds.

The flame is blue when lit.

Occassionally there is a slight smell of gas.

Can you help?

Thanks!

Cary

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 calon

calon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:57 AM

I checked the continuity on the igniter and gas valve coils - they are OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cary

#3 ebanator

ebanator

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:25 AM

hey there,

your issue may be related to the glow bar ignitor. As the glow bar heats, the resistance decreases allowing more current to go to the valve coils. if the glow bar has a "hot spot" it may just barely be getting enough juice to energize the coils. You may also be getting a sticky valve. either way, i would exercise caution as it is gas and if it goes wrong....well we know what could happen there. inspect the glow bar as it energizes to see if it heats evenly or if you are getting a small spot of intense heat.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:12 PM

[user=4626]calon[/user] wrote:

I checked the continuity on the igniter and gas valve coils - they are OK.

Solenoids are electromechanical devices, so they can fail electrically or mechanically. The valves can test good for resistance yet still fail to hold due to failure related to overheating. The symptoms you describe are classic for fatigued valve coils.

Replace the valve coils.

#5 calon

calon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:52 AM

Thank you for your response and advice. You nailed it! The gas solenoid valves were weak.

I replaced them and the dryer works perfectly again.

I apologize for not buying them from your sister site, but a friend of a friend runs a repair service, and had them in stock. (He also said the solenoids were bad...)

This enabled me to remove my wife from my back more quickly, or at least to get her on to the next nag. :-)

I will purchase from you guys in the future...

Thanks again!

Cary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics