Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

My Kenmore is haunted!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrobson1960

jrobson1960

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:22 AM

My Kenmore gas dryer Model 110.73932102 started acting up yesterday. My wife put clothes in the dryer and was getting ready to use it for the 1st time for that day. She pushed the start button and the dryer started as usual. She released the button and it stopped. After several attempts she went to the family room where she found me swearing at the tv set because the Rams were getting their butts kicked by the Cardinals.

Anyway, when I went to try to diagnose it the damn thing was running! Seems it had started all by itself. I opened the door to stop it. Closed the door, pushed start button, and it began to run. Released it and it stopped. Stood there scratching my head and it started to run again without touching anything!

Seems it will only stay on when it starts by itself.

John
John Robinson

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ebanator

ebanator

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

very odd issue.

It seems like an issue with the centrifugal motor switch getting stuck. When you push the start switch, power is applied to both the start and the run windings of the motor. when you let go, the motor will have gotten up to speed and the start winding is mechanically disconnected from the circuit leaving the run winding to power the drum and dry your clothes. The run winding is weaker than the start so it can't get the drum turning well on it's own. if you have a bad switch on the motor it will give you all sorts of greif when it comes to getting the unit running. I would suggest that since it is a gas unit, don't mess with it and call a certified tech. If it is the motor, it is one of the most expensive parts on the unit, a couple hundred. Hope it isn't but.....good luck!:)

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:08 AM

This is an "Even Heat" model. Generally, your symptoms indicate a problem with the circuit board in the console, although it's unusual to see an intermittent problem like yours. Our illustrious leader has some info on this issue RIGHT HERE.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:10 AM

Sort of sounds like you have a motor going bad and perhaps a start switch that is sticking....???
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:44 AM

Did not see the board the first time I looked, even heat control board ref # 6 and the motor and heat relays 37 and 42....pull the tech sheet and see if you can run some diagnostics also...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,692 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

If this is an Even Heat model, then the board could have malfunctioned and is keeping voltage on the motor's relay. This is easy to check with your meter. The tech sheet inside the console is excellent, by the way.

#7 jrobson1960

jrobson1960

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

Thanks to you I have solved my problem. Upon closer examination of the circuit board I noticed a black scorched resistor on the circuit board. $94.05 later we are drying clothes again without any further problems!

The link u provided dated 12-23-05 was a great help because it directly addressed my problem.

Thanks and HAPPY THANKSGIVING Mad Mac.

John Robinson

John Robinson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics