Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune MAH9700AWW, E3 & bE error code

Washing machine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rbatts51

rbatts51

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

I have a 6 year old Maytag Neptune MAH9700AWW washer that is giving me some trouble. I paid for a technician to trouble shoot in hopes of just replacing the bad part for error code E3. Technical bulletin from June 06 points to the Hall Sensor at fault. Unfortunately I needed to buy a new motor because the Hall Sensor is part of the motor and not removable. I decided to replace the motor myself to save money. I got the part online but so far have not been able to get one shipped to me in good condition. The electrical connector was broke on both motors I received. After receiving the second motor I could not tell the connector was bad until after removing my existing motor. I ended up putting the old motor back on which leads to my question.

The E3 error usually shows up on the final spin cycle or a rinse spin cycle. It does not always show up during a wash cycle. After putting the old motor back on, I’ve been getting a bE error, “Motor tach signal exists without motor running”. This is where I’m stumped. I can’t find any thing to tell me what causes the bE code. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks
Russ

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

from the 16026736 Tech Sheet
link PM'd

E3 Machine control is attempting to drive the motor but is not seeing any tach response.
Visual check shows motor is not moving. (Locked, Hall Sensor fault).
See Diagnostic Code 2E
2E Motor Drive failure
(Locked, Hall sensor fault)
Machine control is attempting to drive the motor but is not seeing any tach response.
Visual check shows motor is not moving.
Display “E3”
Evaluate wire harness for loose or unhooked connections.
If machine has separate motor control, perform self diagnostic motor test.
See “Board Output Test”.

bE Motor tach signal exists without motor running. See Diagnostic Code 25
25 Motor tach signal exists without motor running.
Tach signal exists without torque command or when not expected.
Displays "bE".Replace Motor Control Board

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

There were problems with 1) loose terminal connections at the motor terminal block and 2) the hall sensor causing this error code. More info here ==> http://fixitnow.com/...ah9700-washers/

#4 rbatts51

rbatts51

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. The wire harness on the motor looks clean and seems to make a good connection. Financially it doesn't help much if I need to replace the control board.... there goes the beer money.... but it is as I suspected.

Thanks again
Russ

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

You may need the motor and hall sensor kit. Here's how to check with your meter:

You'll need a multimeter to check resistances at the CN9 and CN8 connectors at the main control board. Unplug the CN9 connector from the control board and check: pin1 to pin2, pin1 to pin 3, and pin2 to pin3. You should have the same resistance reading on all 3 tests (approx. 3-5 ohms). Disconnect the CN8 connector from the control board and check : Orange to all wires in the connector should have infinite resistance. Blue to Pink should have 4.7 ohms , Red to Pink 4.7 ohms , Red to Blue 9.6 ohms. If all your resistance readings are in range, your motor and wiring is OK, and you'll need to replace the main control board.

Part links:

==> Motor and Hall Sensor Kit
==> Main Control Board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics