Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Washer PAVT444AWW: clothes still wringing wet after spin.

Maytag PAVT444AWW Spin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 QHarjo

QHarjo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Oatmeal Stout

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Hello,

My washer recently began leaving clothes wet after the spin cycle. The water is draining, and it is spinning, just apparently not fast enough to get all the water out of the clothes. We've been running smaller loads than normal to see if this helps the situation, but no dice. The water pump has recently been replaced, along with the drive belt. I've read that a slow spin might be because of a bad clutch, but I haven't seen a clutch in the parts diagrams of this model.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

On a Maytag its called a thrust bearing kit.. First thing I would check if something it stuck in the tub top... The tub top is the the white part around the top of the washer tub You see it when you open the lid.. Look for the space between the tub and the basket.... This is the thrust bearing kit it comes with decent instructed and you have to replace everything in a specific over

http://www.repaircli...2002213/1042142

#3 QHarjo

QHarjo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

Thanks! I took the tub top off to check for anything that would drag, and didn't find anything so I've got a thrust bearing kit on the way. I appreciate the help.

#4 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

No problem let me know how it goes

#5 QHarjo

QHarjo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

It didn't appear to help. I replaced the thrust bearing and pulley with the new kit, and it seemed to fall into specs, but for the first couple of loads there was a rapid-fire clapping sound. Of course, when I ran loads with the front panel off to see if I could figure out where the knocking was coming from, it stopped. The clothes are still damp though, at any rate.

Any other ideas of things I could check? Thanks!

#6 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

When you put the front back on the that piece of metal at the bottom was hitting the pulley. You just reach under and pull it down a little...

When under the machine I turn the pulley and watch to see if it releases the brake (above the pulley)...

#7 QHarjo

QHarjo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

The pulley will turn a few degrees before rotating the shaft. The calibration arrow on the inside is falling between the two marks when this happens. Does this mean the brake is releasing properly? What else should I be looking for?

I should also.mention that the knocking/clapping was happening during agitate not spin. It happened again with the front off, but my wife shut the machine down before I could take a listen, and we couldn't get it to happen again.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

From my seminal tome on checking and adjusting these brakes, here's how the brake and transmission is supposed to work:

When the Drive Pulley rotates CLOCKWISE, the upper and lower cams are designed to nest together which allows the Drive Pulley to remain in position on the Drive Shaft. The Brake remains engaged and the Drive Pulley will turn the lower cam and drive the shaft to cause the Transmission to agitate.

When the Drive Pulley rotates COUNTERCLOCKWISE, the upper cam and pulley ride up the lower cam approximately 3/16 of an inch before the driving shoulders on the Pulley hub engage the “dogs” on the lower cam.

This causes the top of the Pulley hub to push against the spacer which compresses the Brake Spring and lifts the Brake Rotor and lining assembly off the Brake Stator. The Brake is disengaged and the Pulley will turn the lower cam and drive shaft to cause the Transmission to spin.

Read more ==> http://fixitnow.com/...loading-washer/

#9 QHarjo

QHarjo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

OK, thanks for the guide. All that seems to be happening. A couple of other questions have popped up while I was testing though.

1: Should I be able to turn the shaft counter-clockwise if nothing is pushing up on the brake? If I turn just the hub without letting the pulley compress upwards, I can still turn the shaft, even though there's one spot that it feels that the brake is clamping down.

2: Even after the new thrust pulley and a new belt, my machine seems to be "pausing" during spin...just split-second lapses where it appears that the drum slows down, then picks up again. When manually rotating the thrust pulley, I can feel a spot where things slow down once per rotation, much like I was describing in 1: above...a moment when it feels like something is clamping down, then it passes.

I'm kind of grasping at straws here, and am on the verge of calling in a hit-man on this machine...

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Sounds like the brake disengagement needs to be adjusted. Go on the next section in the link I posted and check/adjust the brake disengagement.

#11 QHarjo

QHarjo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:45 AM

The adjustment arrow is already falling between the min and max marks. I had to use the thinner of the two washers, as the thicker one caused the arrow to stay left of the min mark. Is there any other way to adjust the brake? Might I be looking at some busted parts in the brake itself?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maytag, PAVT444AWW, Spin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics