Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Washer Wont Work--ASKO W620 Quatro 1200RPM

asko washer w620

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Some sparking is normal.
It should be OK until the new Brushes arrive.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 scuba415

scuba415

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Excellent! The beast rides again! Thanks for all your help! I will make a thorough write up for grasshoppers like me!

#23 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,399 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

The sparking is caused by gaps in the contact between the brush and the commutator. These gaps were probably caused by hand-filing-- almost impossible to make a perfect surface by hand. How much sparking are you seeing? Maybe make a video with your camera, upload to youtube, and post the link here. Could be a cool video! Excessive sparking can cause pitting on the commutator-- not a good thing. A little sparking caused by imperfections in the brush mating surface may go away on its own as the brush conforms to the commutator surface.

#24 scuba415

scuba415

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

I see steady, small sparking right at the brush-comm contact point, about 1/8" sparks. Every second or two it will throw off a bit of a larger spark, maybe 1" or so. More sparking can be seen when the commutator spins counter clock wise.

Posted a video here:

I ran a full load and the washer performed well, even in fast spin, but there is quite a bit of that sparking smell coming from the unit.

#25 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,399 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Nice video! The smaller sparks are first weren't too bad but the sparks in the second half of the video were excessive and could damage the commutator. Try working on that surface a bit more. Maybe use a bench grinder to get a little more control.

#26 scuba415

scuba415

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I have no access to a bench grinder, or a garage sadly. Just a guy with a hand file. I think I got the bevel angle in pretty good shape, but couldn't do anything as far as contouring the surface to fit the commutator. Maybe if I had a rat-tail file I could have done a little better.

I have ordered a new set of brushes with the correct bevel direction, but they will likely take 2 weeks to get here. Any chance the brushes on the unit will wear into shape without too much damage to commutator?

#27 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,399 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Any chance the brushes on the unit will wear into shape without too much damage to commutator?

Unfortunately, it all comes down to chance. But let's keep hope alive!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics