Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Stack Gas Dryer doesnt 'feel' right MLG2000

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Regal1988

Regal1988

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:32 AM

We bought the stackable Neptune dryer, MLG2000, gas version recently because we wanted the washer/dryer on the second floor of my house where all the bedrooms are located.

My previous washer and gas dryer were in my basement and it worked fine.

We brought electrical, gas and plumbing lines up and we vented up into the roof.

Now the problem is this dryer doesnt work as well as my old dryer. It seems to take too long to dry the clothes. Last night it took 2 hours to dry a load of laundry on the Intellidry setting.

When I place my hand on the 4inch vent its not hot at all, maybe it gets warm after 10 minutes..comparing that to my basement dryer, that vent got so hot that you couldnt keep your hand on it without burning yourself.

Even if I pull the vent pipe off the dryer and let it vent right in its closet its not hot, not cold eitherr just lukewarm, I can keep my hand over the vent to gauge the exhaust, doesnt feel right. I checked the gas meter and saw the dial moving so I assumed the gas flow is good inot the dryer.

Thing is if I open the dryer door when it running for a while and place my hand where the hot air blows thru, the grill thats there feels hot.

So now Im at a loss, do these new dryers run more efficiently (less heat loss)?? I threw in a small load yesterday and ran a temporary vent into my bathroom (maybe 12 feet in length) and it took about an hour and 15 minutes and the clothes were fully dry and that pipe seemed to be a little bit hotter.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that we did smell a little gas when opening the dryer door a few times right after start up while testing this thing.

Im about to call maytag for a service visit (but dread doing so since the dryer is in a tight closet space and would be a pain to service)

has anyone else had this problem with the Neptune stacked?

should the exhaust from the dryer be very hot when venting right out of the dryer and into the room?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:46 AM

[user=483]Regal1988[/user] wrote:

The only other thing worth mentioning is that we did smell a little gas when opening the dryer door a few times right after start up while testing this thing.

Turn off the gas to the dryer and call for service.:yikes:

The Seven

#3 Regal1988

Regal1988

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:34 AM

Understood. So is it safe to say that when running this dryer without the vent pipe attached the air blowing out should be hot?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

Yes, of course the exhaust should get hot, even without the vent attached. :silly:

More information on dryer venting here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics