Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Freezer not maintaining temp GE Profile Arctica PSS25NGMDWW

freezer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 georgemartin601

georgemartin601

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

The freezer section does not seem to be maintaining the set temperature - 0 deg. It's been at between 10 and 25 degrees for over a week, much longer than I understand a defrost cycle to take. I've also tried power cycling the unit. Will that cancel a defrost cycle? I've gone through all system tests. They all seem to indicate passing. The only one I was not able to confirm passing/working was the open damper test. I heard a noise, but I have no way of knowing if it's opening and closing. The fresh food section temp is being maintained at the set temp - 37 degrees. Any ideas where to start . . . what would cause the freezer to get warm and the fresh food section to stay cool?

Thanks to all.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Defrost Cycle is only 25 minutes ...
It may be a bad Door Switch keeping the Light ON.
OR
May need to see a picture iof the frost pattern of the Evaporator Coils inside the Freezer.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 georgemartin601

georgemartin601

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

I can see the light going off when the door is almost shut. How would I get the pic of the coils? I'm assuming then, the damper is probably okay. Would a malfunctioning damper door/fan create the opposite problem? thanks very much

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,587 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Damper door would not cause a problem in the freezer. From inside the freezer, remove the back panel to expose the evap, Take a picture and upload it. Have you verified temps using another device? Is your ice maker producing ice normally? Are your seals around freezer door and ice maker chute air tight?

Your fresh food section receives its cooling from the freezer evap. Your fresh food temps will eventually be affected by increased temps in the freezer if the temp increase is caused by a defrost issue , an evap fan problem, or sealed system failure. Fresh food temps may not be affected if there is a air leak in the freezer or if you have a malfunctioning freezer thermistor, an ice maker heater continuously running or malfunctioning freezer light switch.

A bad mother board can also cause unpredictable results as well.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 01 January 2012 - 09:54 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 georgemartin601

georgemartin601

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

Had a service tech out today. I was not present, but he said there is a freon leak. An irregular frost pattern on the evaporator coil led to this diagnosis. Everything else tested fine. I'm looking at $600 - $800 repair bill. Is an evaporator coil something I can replace and fill with freon myself? I am a DIYer, but by no means do I have any experience with anything like this. I'm not opposed to trying in light of the options. Thanks

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Specialized tools and equipment required, not a job you can do without previous experience/training

Time to go shopping!
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 georgemartin601

georgemartin601

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Any advice on brands or model lines? The tech advised to stay away from GE, and said go for the Whirlpools and Whirlpool line - kitchenaid, maytag. Truth to that?? thanks much

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Yes, much Truth in that

check this: Appliantology Newsletter, June 2011: Samurai’s Appliance Brand Recommendations
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

... May need to see a picture of the frost pattern of the Evaporator Coils inside the Freezer.

... An irregular frost pattern on the evaporator coil led to this diagnosis.

hmmm... I remember reading that somewhere

... stay away from GE, and said go for the Whirlpools and Whirlpool line - kitchenaid, maytag.

yes

#10 georgemartin601

georgemartin601

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thanks regus_patoff. You were right on the mark . . . and I was 100% cognizant of this conversation prior to bringing a tech in. It's the reason I'm on this site . . . you guys rock! I'm sick that I am now finding myself in the market for a new fridge. Because you know what that means - according to my wife - new dishwasher, new range, new microwave! The dishwasher has been on the fritz as well, a Maytag, with a bad control panel. I had to cut a pin out of the ribbon, just to use it. So now some of the functions don't work, but it still washes. New control panel is like $200. What's happening with kitchen appliances? you know how often our parents replaced things . . . NEVER!

thanks to all. We're shopping for whirlpool now I suppose.

#11 georgemartin601

georgemartin601

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Forgot to mention in previous post. The freezer section is empty and the temperature is back at zero. I previously suspected, albeit very strange, that positioning the food had an effect on the temp. It seemed like after my wife filled it with new groceries, the temp went up. But eventually went back down to normal. The last week or so, it just stayed up, above 17 degrees. which led to the tech coming out. so now, empty freezer, bad evaporator coil diagnosis, now temp is back to normal and it's been normal for more than 24 hours. Is this expected with a freon leak/bad coil? thanks

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

starting from room temperature, a Fridge / Freezer can take up to 24 hrs or more to reach optimum temperatures.
A leaky Sealed System doesn't have the cooling capacity of a "fully charged" system
may not be able to cool the groceries as quickly

A good web site for appliance sizes, dimensions, prices, etc
is http://www.ajmadison.com/
multiple check-boxes
drop-down-boxes
etc

#13 georgemartin601

georgemartin601

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

A good web site for appliance sizes, dimensions, prices, etc
is http://www.ajmadison.com/
multiple check-boxes
drop-down-boxes
etc

Great site. Bummed out though - they do not deliver Kitchenaid dishwashers to my area. And it seems Kitchenaid dishwashers can't be delivered to my area by anyone other than the big box stores . . . meaning higher priced. Any thoughts? My apologies if this is not the forum for this discussion. I can take it somewhere better suited if there is such a place.

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

... Kitchenaid dishwashers can't be delivered to my area by anyone other than the big box stores .

what area is that ?

#15 georgemartin601

georgemartin601

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

63385 - outside of st. louis, mo

Edited by georgemartin601, 20 March 2012 - 07:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: freezer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics