Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Gaggenau Oven Model EB 378610 Temperature selector problem

No Bottom Element Heating

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pinney204

pinney204

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

HI, have two of these ovens ( totally separate units) and to get to temp you have to switch to convection. Tech looked at the top unit and said I need a new selector switch ( Part #156 436) that is no longer available. Seems odd that two separate units that have the exact same symptom ? Wasn't at home when he came by. When you switch to convection another heating element kicks in by the fan and oven heats up. Top element heats. Self cleaning does not work.

Thanks, Sean

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

can't really find any info on your oven, based on the model provided, but I'll take a shot at it. Does the element at the bottom of the oven work? Can you see an element at the bottom of the oven? Have you taken the cover off of the Convection Fan to check the convection element? You said that the top element works, when you put it(the selector) to broil, does it (the top element) work?

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#3 pinney204

pinney204

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hi, have all the manuals / wiring diagrams for the ovens if you want. Fiddled around with the ovens last night. Top oven : top element heats on broil only, could not get the bottom one to heat at all and don't think the convection element is heating either. Bottom oven : top element and convection elements will work and no bottom element. Guess the question is if the selector switches are both toasted and they are not available ( Selector Switch Part #156 436 for Model EB 378610) does this mean I have to toss both units ?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

if you could email the manuals / diagrams to me,
I could post then on a file site and then link to them so others may help

regus_patoff_2000@yahoo.com

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

If you provide us with the manual and diagram you have, it will earn you a Merit Apprenticeship Here at the Appliantology Academy, which comes with lots of goodies ==> Apprenticeship

#6 pinney204

pinney204

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

I will scan them tonight and send.

Thanks, Sean

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Awesome! :thumbsup:

Copy me on that email and I'll upgrade you as soon as I get em: samurai at appliantology dot org.

#8 pinney204

pinney204

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Have PDF of the file, but it's too big to attach - will email to anyone who wants to see or is there another way ? Anyone who can save these ?????

Thanks, Sean

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Got the file and uploaded it to the Downloads section of this site ==> http://appliantology...0-service-info/

For getting that information to us, you have earned a promotion to Merit Apprentice Appliantologist together with all the rights and privileges thereof.

Kapai! :samurai:

#10 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Sean, The best way to tackle this beast is one at a time. They are 2 separate units am I correct? I would shut the power off to the top oven first, and then remove the Bake (bottom) Element. Do you have a Volt Ohm meter? you will need one for the testing of these units. I would then like you to check for continuity, with the wires disconnected, between both terminals on the Bake (bottom) Element. Tell us what you find, it should be around 20 ohms or so. Second if the top oven Bake(bottom) Element, checks good, then reconnect the wires to the element, and apply power to the unit. Then select bake on the selector and turn the thermostat, to a bake temp 350 or so. Then check for 240v across both terminals of the Bake(bottom) Element. If there is not 240v then you likely need to replace the selector. Repeat this process for all the other elements Broil(top), Convection(back), and you will soon know where the problem is, on both ovens.

Thank you very muck for sharing you manuals with us.

Edited by Comstock_Services, 06 January 2012 - 08:20 PM.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#11 pinney204

pinney204

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yes, they are two separate units. Tech who came by while I was out of town ran the sequence you described ( know since he shut the power off and clocks were blinking ) and told me the top oven needed a new selector switch ( 99% sure). Only hitch is the part in no longer available. I have written the President of Gaggenau NA who's assistant called me to say there was nothing they could do. Question is if there is anyone out there who can rebuild or rehab these or just junk them. Space they take up is only 39" tall so a double oven is out of the question. Is this checkmate ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics