Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Asko W640 drive motor fault - fixed I hope!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TimScott

TimScott

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

This front loader is 12 years old - this is the first time anything has ever gone wrong with it.

Serviceman replaced brushes and hose - still had fault at the end of the 1st wash of the day - ie wash would almost finish. 2nd wash of the day could not be run until the machine was rested usually for about 45 minutes and would then fail earlier in the cycle than the 1st wash.

Cost at this stage was $250 so decided to take machine apart.

Phoned Asko australia for assistance and was told that I should have used an asko qualified serviceman in the first place - closest 110 klm away - most unhelpful.

Removed motor and noticed dirty, rough, burnt looking commutator - removed new bushes and polished commutator on lathe - 1200 wet and dry and some wd40 - re fitted bushes and motor and now have a happy machine!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

GOOD JOB :dazzler:

there are "Commutator Cleaners"
they look like long Brushes, that you place into the Brush Holder and turn the Motor, and it "buffs" the Commutator

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Nice work, my fine young apprentice! If you happened to take photos of your repair odyssey and post them here, it will earn you a Merit Apprenticeship. :)

#4 TimScott

TimScott

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

Machine worked perfectly for 3 weeks then stopped completely - drive motor fault again, but this time the motor refused to start.

Pulled machine apart again - removed MCU and checked voltages etc from PCU - all OK

Then checked motor - stator winding OK but open circuit on armature.

Removed motor, fiddled with plug and wires and got a reading on the armature!

Bench (floor) tested motor using the testing programs - could not get motor to fail.

Machine is back together again - fingers crossed.

Commutator appears to be very dirty - what might be causing that?

Photos:

https://plus.google....CPHE_ri90ZLjiwE

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

That entire motor looked to be in pretty rough shape. One of your photos showed lots of rust on the housing. The commutator will be affected by ambient conditions that created that rust on the housing as well as by the wear of the brushes. You may just be seeing lots of carbon from the brushes on the commutator. You can buy a special commutator cleaner to clean it up a bit. Black residue isn't as big a deal as pitting-- if you have a lot of that, you may need a new motor.

PS great photos! I'll upgrade you as soon as I get back to my desktop. :)

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Tim, for posting the story of your repair odyssey and the photos to go with it, you have earned a promotion to Merit Apprentice Appliantologist together with all the rights and privileges thereof.

Kanpai! :samurai:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics