Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Doesn't drain but pump OK, Bosch dishwasher she44c06uc/22

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

. OK, I thought it was going to be an easy service call. Brought my laptop just in case, but it turns out the SHE models aren't on the dishwasher guides I have. Then the tech sheet didn't say how to enter diagnostic mode, it only had wiring diagrams. So I copied what seemed to be a universal way. I pressed 2nd and 4th buttons while pressing on, then I pushed 2nd and 4th again. It seemed to but didn't advance.

. So here is what seems to happen. Start a cycle. The preliminary pump out doesn't happen, but I do hear a few clicks from the control board. Let it fill. Press cancel and drain. Still doesn't pump out.

. I'd already checked for obstructions, so I hooked the pump directly up to current, and it works like a charm. Hooked just the hot wire up, leaving neutral running through the machine, and still pumps perfectly. Checked continuity of gray wire up to first position in control panel, and that's OK. Measured voltage coming off of control panel both off the panel and off the gray wire that connects to pump. Usually around 40V, sometimes 120V. Thought it might be a fraction of an amp, so I hooked a 75W lightbulb up to the wires and not even the faintest glow, and a 0 amp reading.

. The owner had said he used to be able to get it to pump out if he started and stopped it a few times, but now he had to drain with a turkey baster. I think the main motor isn't running as well. He might have said something about that.

. So I'm beginning to think it is the control board, but don't want to mess around with the parts changing monkey approach.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

... Usually around 40V, sometimes 120V.

... all voltage measurements should be made with the load connected..
It may be a bad solder joint on the Controller

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

It may be a bad solder joint on the Controller

. I had a look at the controller, and I didn't see any bad joints.

. If I'm measuring voltage to the pump, don't I have to disconnect the leads in order to hook them up to a voltage meter?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

may have to improvise extention leads to your Meter..
OR measure at another point... pins on the Controller if accessable

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

I measured off the hot pin on the controller to ground and neutral. I measured off leads into pump, though, yes, they disconnected from the pump at the time.

As for a load, I hooked a lightbulb up to the power coming from the control board and got not even the faintest glow. Occasionally, the voltmeter is going to show voltage where there is no amperage to back it up. In that case, the only solution I know of is to put a load in the circuit that will test it, like a lightbulb. What do you expect to see if you measure the voltage across the two connections to the pump while connected?

If the solder joint was bad, I should have seen something visible, shouldn't I? Or is this not like the case of the heater relay joint going bad, where it is so very noticeable?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

If I'm measuring voltage to the pump, don't I have to disconnect the leads in order to hook them up to a voltage meter?

Nyet, tovarish! You can sneak them skinny-azz meter probes in there and get a bite on the metal long enough to make a voltage reading. May have to unclip a cover or you sneak 'em in from the back of the connector, where the wires go in. Many ways to skin this cat, got a whole bed made out of cat skin to prove it!

Posted Image

#7 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

So if I understand correctly, you have lost the hot lead to the drain pump, correct? I would try to plug into the back of the connector, while hooked to0 the pump, if still no hot lead, check it back to the board, if no power from board. I'd say slam dunk board, but double check the wire first.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#8 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Problem solved.

. As everything indicated, it was the control board. Whether you get 30V or 120V coming out of the control panel, when there isn't enough amperage for even a faint glow to a lightbulb, something in there just isn't doing its job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics